Understanding Gravity Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangine77

Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed Jamil's American Wheat recipe about 12 days ago. It was only my fourth all-grain batch. The OG was supposed to be 1052 and I hit 1050, so I was happy with that. I had a problem with fermentation starting for some reason, and I repitched after 48 hours.

I just took a gravity reading to see if it's ready to bottle and the gravity is down to 1.002 and it's supposed to finish at 1.012.

What does this mean?

Did pitching the extra yeast do something? Why did this finish SO low when my original gravity was so close to being where it should be.

I tasted the hydrometer reading and it tastes like a nice american wheat but no obviously not much alcohol. What am I not thinking of here???

Having a lower FG than expected means that there is more alcohol because the yeast has consumed more of the sugars in the wort. This may have to do with the extra yeast that you pitched, but in any event you should try to check your gravity a little more often especially during your first few batches. It may be a bit thinner than you like.

1.002 is a little concerning if this is the actual FG of the beer. Unless you made a really fermentable wort, and it takes work to make wort that fermentable, it is very possible that there is also another bug a work that is eating sugars which the yeast can't metabolize. How does it taste?

Check it again, and head the suggestions that were given. I hope it was a reading error.

Kai

Back