Smelling Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
With many varieties unavailable, many of us brewers will be forced to use relatively unknown hop varieties. Smelling new hop varieties is a good gauge of the aroma, but I've wondered what a whiff can tell us about hop taste. I once ate a hop pellet, what a bad idea! It was horrible. Do you all think a smelling a hop is a good gauge of how it will taste in a beer?

When picking a substitute I usually look at the hop descriptions in Ho to Brew and then pick something from the same region and with a similar AA% and description as the one I wanted to use.

Yes, smelling the hop will give you some idea of the flavor. The main difference between flavor and aroma is the volatility of the oils. With a whole hop, you can chew some of the petals. But, stay away from the resin in the middle. I, too, chewed a hop pellet once. It was the 19.8% AA hop that the High-alpha acid program at OSU had just breed. Couldn't taste a thing the rest of the day.

BYO has a fairly good cross-reference, but it needs updating.

I like the taste of Saaz and Cascade pellets... I tried a TINY nibble in a warrior pellet and it was HORRIBLE. Rough stuff...

Back