how to unclog false bottem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighoss44

Reaction score
i tryed to blow in and open and close the valve and nothing its cloged with hop pellets how do yall about getting them uncloged and what can i do to provent this should i just take out the stainer

Hop pellets, there's your problem. At least on my system, the leaf hops form a nice filter on top of the false bottom, but the pellet gunk sinks right to the bottom and clogs it up. Last batch I tried to sneak a single ounce of pellets through and paid the price haha. I tried to blow it out w compressed air and succeeded in spraying wort everywhere, but failed to remove the clog. I would be interested as well to hear some better strategies for clearing a clog.

i emailed northern brewer and asked if i was to sanitze my hand and arm really good if it would be safe to stick my hand in to take out the screen and he said yes as long as i put the yeast in real soon after the transfer was done there not be any chance of my wort getting a infections cause of the yeast

Back