WLP005 - Fermentation time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuznBrew

Reaction score
First time using this yeast - So I have a batch of stout that started around 1.060 and got down to 1.016 after 2 weeks, fermenting at 67F. I did swirl it a few times like recommended. I racked to secondary and it appears to be still fermenting. Was shooting to mash at 152, but screwed up and it sat at around 148 for an hour. I did save the yeast cake; should I put some of it back into the fermentation to increase yeast count and help it along? Or just let it be? Weird yeast. Read that is it like cottage cheese when it flocculates, but this is more like a good thick pudding. Swiss Miss anyone? Sorry, headspin from Two Hearted Ale. :mug: Thanks for any insight into this yeast/fermentation!.. Oh yeah, I only used 1 vial w/ no starter, so probably underpitched a bit, but I usually like under-pitched stouts.

Sounds like it's doing fine. You're at about 72% attenuation which is right in the middle range for that yeast. Let it settle for a few days, double check the FG and bottle if it's still at 1.016

Unless you insist, there's really no need to secondary. The English strains tend to really flocc out and will clear quite well while still in primary. Unless you need to add additional fermentables or dry hops, there's no real need for the secondary vessel.

Back