Could this malt be used as a substitute for Maris Otter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nostrildamus

Reaction score
I understand that Maris Otter is a specifc strain of winter malt which is "floor-malted". I'd love to brew a traditional english bitter or other ale using it but have no access to it through my LHBS and really don't want to go to the hassle of ordering it online. My LHBS does however carry an ESB malt with the following description:

This "Extra Special British" pale malt is malted for brewers seeking the unique flavor imparted by well-modified British pale malt. Gambrinus modified its malting process to produce this distinct malt traditionally found only on the British Isles.

I was wondering if this would be a suitable substitute. I will of course ask at my LHBS as well but I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion first. If it would be acceptable to what degree should I use it? 50%?100%?

Thanks in advance, HBT folk.

I'm sure it'll be a fine substitute, providing the SRM isn't too high. I use Gleneagles Maris Otter as my house base malt---the Gleneagles has an SRM around 3.5-4.5, a little higher than normal Maris Otter---but I like it that way---I think it's got more flavor than the normal MO. Anyway, check on the SRM just to be sure, but otherwise you should be just fine.

As to the percentage, that depends wholly on the style of beer you're brewing. Since it's a well-modified pale malt rather than an adjunct grain, you could use it for up to 100% of your grain bill if you wanted to, but again, it depends on the style. Personally, I've never used 100% of anything. My base malt makes up most of the bill, then I use a smaller percentage of adjuncts depending on the recipe.

I think the only way to find out for sure would be to try it.
If you're concerned about comparing it to a Maris Otter brew, you could send me 10 lbs of it, and I would be happy to do the comparison for you. :D

-a.

I use Gleneagles Maris Otter as my house base malt---the Gleneagles has an SRM around 3.5-4.5, a little higher than normal Maris Otter---but I like it that way---I think it's got more flavor than the normal MO. Anyway, check on the SRM just to be sure, but otherwise you should be just fine.

Sorry to ressurect an ancient thread, but where do you get this malt?
I just asked Sixpoints brewer how the heck they get their Bengali IPA so ORANGE and his reply was "Floor malted Glen Eagles Maris Otter. Accept no substitute!"

Great color and flavor, I'd love to play around with it..

Back