Tips for Transplanting Hops from a 5 Gallon Bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zyx345

Reaction score
I have two hops growing that I started from rhizomes in 5 gallon Home Depot Homer buckets each. Buckets are drilled at the bottom to allow proper water ventilation. The idea is to have them grow 1 season in the buckets then transplant them to the ground next season.

I just realized that this may be hard to due without damaging the roots. The buckets are filled to just about 2" from the top with soil.

Does anyone have any adivce or tips on safely getting the plant out of a 5 gallon bucket to transpant?

Once they die back this Fall, just lay the bucket on it's side and roll it around. The soil ball should come loose from the 'mold' and then just plunk it into a prepared hole. If the roots grew through the drainage holes they should be cut off before you try to lift it as the bucket will seem like it weighs about 1000# and your back will thank you. Have fun!

Once they die back this Fall, just lay the bucket on it's side and roll it around. The soil ball should come loose from the 'mold' and then just plunk it into a prepared hole. If the roots grew through the drainage holes they should be cut off before you try to lift it as the bucket will seem like it weighs about 1000# and your back will thank you. Have fun!

Thanks to all for all the replies. Should I water the plant prior to laying the bucket on it's side and roll it around? I'm thinking if the soil is too dry if it may crumble.

You're gonna lose some either way when you work with that large of a volume, that's just what happens. Me, I would try to keep it a little more toward the dryer side just to make it easier to work with.

let it dry out before you transplant!!! If the soil is wet, then it'll crumble in your hands. I just transplanted all my hops from their plastic planters. The one plant that had slightly wet soil, was way more difficult to save all the roots. The dry ones just slide out of the bucket if you do it right. Gently roll the bucket on its side, or squeeze it on all sides to loosen the soils grip.

Back