RIMS without RIMS tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larsen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello our there.

I would like to hearyour comments ón the idea of RIMS without the tube with the heat element!

I'm planing to use 3 camco 5500 w elements at 240 V in all 3 vessels of 55 gal.

They will All be controlled by a BCS 460 or the Brewtroller. The elements will be put below the false bottom in the MT. The outlet from the MT is in the bottom center, trough the pipes to the pump then to the inlet in the top.
I can check the out temperature and the core mash temperature. I also thinking about adding a stirrer to the MT to get an even temperature and a better conversion.

So why have a RIMS tube?

Please comment.

Cheers

The tube was just a convenient method of minimizing "dead space" under the false bottom. Smaller batches get trickier to do when you have to add 30% of your total water just to reach the false bottom. After all the fuss I just went through of finding a good location to mount the tube on my new rig, I was seriously asking myself why I didn't just put it directly in the mash tun. The answer I kept coming back to was that it would complicate 5 gallon batches.

Back