Apple smell in the water container wired to fermentator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvend

Reaction score
Hi, Im on my second day of fermentation of a Ale but I smell a apple odor on the water container connected to the fermentator through the little hose. Is the batch already bad? Is going to dissappear that odor? What do I do? Im fermentating at approximately 21 degrees celsius

The apple is likely Acetaldehyde. If that's what it is, it will go away in a few weeks. Just let it sit a while and let the yeast do their thing

Hi, Im on my second day of fermentation of a Ale but I smell a apple odor on the water container connected to the fermentator through the little hose. Is the batch already bad? Is going to dissappear that odor? What do I do? Im fermentating at approximately 21 degrees celsius

It's probably just the way you're perceiving the smell of off-gassed CO2 + acetealdehyde produced normally during fermentation. There isn't anything you can do anyways, just wait for it to hit FG and see what's in there.

What yeast is it? Some yeast strains produce esters that are the same as apples. Personally, I would kill to get my hands on a yeast that consistently produced these esters.

I agree with the others, it's likely acetaldehyde, and should fad with time. I've found if you let the fermenter warm some as fermentation slows, you can off gas some of those compounds produced during fermentation like sulphur-y and apple-y smells.

Sounds more like ethyl acetate to me.

Ethyl Acetate

Acetaldehyde

I guess we'll have to wait and see if the OP gets back on this and says whether or not the aroma faded. We're talking about a brew that was ~2 days into fermentation when it was kicking an apple aroma, which sounds like acetaldehyde to me, and should be gone or very close to gone at this point, ~9 days in. It's my understanding, and I may be totally wrong, that ethyl acetate won't really leave the beer, and will have a pear like character to it. Acetaldehyde on the other hand is very apple-y, at least to me, and can easily be driven off the beer by off gassing co2, either by warming the fermenter to release co2, or by purging a keg over and over to drive off co2.

Back