Stirring to remove co2 ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lehr

Reaction score
Hi first time mead maker I'm making a dry show mead using the staggered nutrient process and I was wondering how many days should I stir it to get the co2 out. I have been doing it twice a day fro three days now.

Thanks Pat

Degass/aerate it until 1/3 of the sugars have been consumed (called the '1/3 break'). After that its pretty much hands off until finished. Plan to rack every two months (or so) to get if off the lees and help it progress.

What was the OG, yeast used and honey used?

Depending on the yeast it could ferment down to either .998 or even .990 for the FG. Take a SG anx when its 1/3 of the way there stop degassing/aerating it. There is some good info about this on the got mead site. Rough numbers would put the break at about 1.050.

I guess I had better stop I checked the gravity last night it was down to 1.024.

Thanks for your help !

Btw I bought 60 lbs of honey so I'm sure I will have more question.

Pat

I'm getting ready to start a Raspberry mead in a 6 1/2 gallon carboy and was wondering if stirring it with my stir plate would work for degassing it. I know there a not many stir plates capable of this but mine will create a vortex in a carboy this size. I guess all I would need to do is pull the cap and airlock off to allow the gasses to escape. Then determine how long I should stir it each time. Here's a link to my stir plate video.

[URL=http://s1108.photobucket.com/albums/h405/Beerme1/?action=view&current=PICT0002.mp4] [/URL]

I'm getting ready to start a Raspberry mead in a 6 1/2 gallon carboy and was wondering if stirring it with my stir plate would work for degassing it. I know there a not many stir plates capable of this but mine will create a vortex in a carboy this size. I guess all I would need to do is pull the cap and airlock off to allow the gasses to escape. Then determine how long I should stir it each time. Here's a link to my stir plate video.
I'm presuming that you're alluding to a laboratory type stirring plate. If so, then there was some info over at gotmead about using those.

Apparently, they're very useful as they keep the CO2/carbonic acid down, making it, quite often, quicker to ferment etc etc. Though I'd guess that you'd have to be more attentive of the ferment to judge correctly when it's time to do stuff, like add more nutrient etc......

Back