Quick question regaridng starter from starter newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkratt

Reaction score
So I finally put the stirplate I built into action last night. However, when I woke up this morning I see that the stir bar had been thrown off to the side, likely from spinning too fast. The yeast had settled to the bottom and the stir bar was just slightly shaking on the corner of the flask. I turned the speed down and started over and everything was kicked up and started moving and aerating, etc.

My question is if I brew tonight is this starter going to be viable? Is it too late? Any suggestions?

Any input anyone could provide would be very helpful.

It will be fine. Just do like you did and turn it back on at a lower speed. You may have a slightly decreased cell count but it shouldn't be anything that you will affect the beer drastically. Go with it!

I make starters all the time and I just shake the container about 6 times a day...as long as there was enough oxygen when you began those yeast should be multiplying. That being said I usually make mine more than the day before the brew. If I am brewing on a Saturday I will start it on Tuesday or Wednesday normally.
What I like to do is grow them and have them settle out so I can pour that starter beer off the top before pitching the yeast cake.

So will it be ok, have you increased your yeast count...probably, but you will probably have to pour the whole thing in there which is ok.

How big of a beer are you making?

Thank you guys.

1.066 Citra Pale Ale. I made a starter based on Mr. Malty's size recommendation for Wyeast production date and number of packs I wanted to use, etc. If I remember the starter I made was 1.79L.

I can easily let the starter do its thing and brew this weekend, non-issue. Sounds like that be a better plan?

I typically make my starter up the night before I brew. I usually let it go ~18-24 hours which from what I have read from multiple sources is a good time to pitch. However, if you want to allow the yeast to flocculate out and discard the beer on top you obviously need to allow more time. For a high hopped ale this should not be necessary. The advantage of the stir plate is that it will give you a higher cell count than shaking the starter periodically. When did you pitch the yeast into your starter?

I typically make my starter up the night before I pitch it. I usually let it go ~18 hours which from what I have read from multiple sources is a good time to pitch. The advantage of the stir plat is that it will give you a higher cell count than shaking the starter periodically. When did you pitch the yeast into your starter?

I pitched last night. I also read the same time frame. However, due to the stagnant yeast I was unsure of the best way to go.

I think you should be just fine, especially since you followed the proper amounts for the starter. I've had success with several starters that I did the day beforehand and just shook up manually every few hours.

I made a bunch of beer before ever doing a starter. I just bought a vial of 'fill-in-the-blank' yeast from White Labs and poured it in. Away it went. Could I have put two vials in and been better off? Yup! I didn't know about Mr Malty, so I didn't know I needed more yeast. Ignorance WAS bliss... I didn't worry about pitching rates at all!

I think as long as you give it at least 18 hours or about this long you will be fine to use it so long as you pitch the entire starter in.

Back