High Krausen after 10 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgcracraft

Reaction score
I brewed a cream ale about 10 days ago. The airlock only bubbles about every 2-3 min. I checked the beer and there is still alot of krausen on top. I took a reading and it's at 1.006 about 6% abv since the original reading 1.052. I used wyeast 1056 and usually there is no krausen 10-12 days later. wondering if it could be contaminated? I also usually ferment around 65-68 degrees and this batch has been around 70-72. Just looking for suggestions.

I wouldn't worry, let it go for another 11 days or so and see how it looks then. High krausen alone wouldn't be a sign of a wild bug.

And welcome to HBT!

A picture would help us diagnose any problems. 1.006 seems kind of low, hence a possible infection. But I wouldn't worry too much this early. Give it time.

That being said, I had something similar happen with a pale ale where there was a layer of gunk floating on the top 3 weeks later. My gravity was fine and it tasted fine so I just scooped the gunk out with a spagetti strainer. Beer turned out fine. Granted, this is probably not the best course of action, but it worked for me.

Thanks for the input. I'm gonna give it awhile and take another reading. Might move it to cooler temp also back down to about 68. The reason for trying the warmer temp was to try and lessen the citrus taste. I assume it's coming from the yeast although I used Liberty and Amarillo hops but none for flavoring.

I know that reading seems low but this about the third time I've brewed this beer and the reading has been been 1.008-1.010 the other times. I will say a couple pilsner glasses and you're feeling pretty good and wanting more.

Back