Stained bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganu

Reaction score
Yesterday I started prepping everything inorder to rack my batch. While cleaning everything I notice that my bottling bucket has a small circular pink stain in the bottom of it. There is also a matching stain on the inside of one of my short racking hoses. Apparently, while in storage these two pieces laid together and this is where moisture and mold collected (MY guess, anyways).

I let everything soak in bleach for probably 30 minutes, scrubbing here and there as best I could with a soft cloth. I even scrubbed the inside of my short racking hose.

Everything "looks" clean... but still tinted pink.

Is it safe to rack with this stuff today or do I need work around it and just buy a new bottling bucket?

Thanks in advance.

G

If you bleached it and let it soak I would think you would be okay, just make sure you sanitize the bucket before you rack. Iodophor usually stains yellow so the "pink" is a little weird

If you bleached it and let it soak I would think you would be okay, just make sure you sanitize the bucket before you rack. Iodophor usually stains yellow so the "pink" is a little weird

Yeah, especially since I didn't use any Iodophor. (Never ever HEARD of it until these responses.)

I felt comfortable enough to go ahead and rack through the bucket anyways. Like I said, I put a good bit of elbow grease on the stain, AND it DID sit in bleach for 30 min+.

Thanks for the responses... again.

I get pink "stains" in my shower. It's something in my water - iron I think. It washes off pretty east for me but it's still pink non the less.

Back