Why whirlpool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerisgood

Reaction score
I'm wondering why I should bother whirlpooling to seperate trub in the boil. Won't it all just fall out in primary?

It will, but it's nice to not have it in the primary. I don't whirlpool though. I put a giant SS strainer on top of my fermenter and everything from the keggle gets strained through it. I get perfectly clear beers at the end of fermentation, and I don't have to deal with all the sludge and trub stealing my beer.

I always try whirlpooling, but it never works for me. Then again, I only wait about 10 minutes. I never really waited 30 to 40 minutes for everything to settle to the bottom

Codl break in the fermenter can be benificial but hot break is preferred to be left in the boiler. Has to do with the proteins, oxidative compounds, etc...

There are really good white papers on hot and cold break in teh Brewing techniques archives.

I drain my BK through a fine mesh strainer to catch any debris that might be left. I also bag my hops and pull the bags when I start to cool so I don't get that much hop residue in the bottom of my BK anymore. That being said I am planning to add a whirlpool set up to my BK for the simple reason that it will help me cool my wort faster. I hate waiting an hour or so for it to cool just with the immersion chiller.

Codl break in the fermenter can be benificial but hot break is preferred to be left in the boiler. Has to do with the proteins, oxidative compounds, etc...

Is it a full amount of cold break proteins, or just a small amount? In one of my texts I remember reading that a small amount of cold break proteins are beneficial to yeast health. Don't remember if it was How To Brew or another. Maybe someone can clear this up. Or ill go look for the book I read it in

I usually do it only when I'll be washing my yeast or reusing the slurry. Having less gunk in the fermenter makes both of those things easier. Otherwise I just pour everything in the fermenter, since, as you say, it all settles out in time.

There are really good white papers on hot and cold break in teh Brewing techniques archives.

yep. i leave hot break in my boil keg, and crash-cool in my kegs

Latest posts

Back