Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lacto wont grow in presence of hops or high ibus.

Sure about this? Commercial lacto is sensitive to hops, yes, but wild strains may grow in all kinds ofi inhospitable environments. It's likely yeast, I agree, but I've successfully soured a pale ale before using a wild bacteria strain.

Thanks all. As adventerous as I am, I hate bottling more. This weekend I bottled 15g and 10g last weekend not to mention Oxysoaking and rinsing like 500. The thought of rebottling makes me nauseous. I might change my mind tomorrow.
:ban:

Thanks all. As adventerous as I am, I hate bottling more. This weekend I bottled 15g and 10g last weekend not to mention Oxysoaking and rinsing like 500. The thought of rebottling makes me nauseous. I might change my mind tomorrow.
:ban:

Yikes! And I thought 7 gallons was enough.......more like extreme emesis!

Bagged up the fermentation? Novel idea to reduce oxygen through the sides and top? Or to save the fermenter from exclusive wild fermentations?

Multiple purposes, I'm not sure how much O2 it blocks. Mostly I'm just using the HDPE bags to allow me to not worry about bugs in the fermentation spreading to a clean beer later and cleanup is just so easy this way.

I use it for clean beer too because of the easy cleaning. Plus the danger of scratches in plastic harboring bad this is eliminated.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1440672926.989226.jpg

^ clean fermenter ready. [emoji6]

Sweet!
A bucket for me is quite cheap and in my case I have used this bucket twice to my benefit. Cuvee Rene dregs working hard on the second go around!

Multiple purposes, I'm not sure how much O2 it blocks. Mostly I'm just using the HDPE bags to allow me to not worry about bugs in the fermentation spreading to a clean beer later and cleanup is just so easy this way.

I use it for clean beer too because of the easy cleaning. Plus the danger of scratches in plastic harboring bad this is eliminated.

View attachment 299216

^ clean fermenter ready. [emoji6]

How do you transfer it out of there? Or is that just trub/yeast?

Followup to my previous (post 1917).
After a week in the bottles, each one has a solid pellicle. They also have very thin hair / stringlike strands below the pellicle. Not worried, just really curious if lacto or wild yeast / brett?

The second pic looks more ropy than it is. It's really very thin little hairlike strands with a small clump on the end that stretches down.

image_zpsmwtfcezw.jpg

image_zpswunlnihx.jpg

After a week in the bottles, each one has a solid pellicle. They also have very thin hair / stringlike strands below the pellicle. Not worried, just really curious if lacto or wild yeast / brett?

The second pic looks more ropy than it is. It's really very thin little hairlike strands with a small clump on the end that stretches down.

image_zpsmwtfcezw.jpg

image_zpswunlnihx.jpg

What's in your culture? Any pediococcus?

No culture, just dry-hopped pale. From my earlier post:
"I had 5G of a pale in a bucket for 5 weeks, and dry hopped 3oz from my plants for about a week. There was a pellicle / hop mess that I scooped out, and the pellicle grew back in a day or two. I racked out from under it to bottle as I thought it was lacto, figuring I would carb then fridge them and drink them first as I didn't really want sour pale."

image_zpsmwtfcezw.jpg

image_zpswunlnihx.jpg

Whoa. Definitely save a 6 pack to see how it matures. If they don't blow in a month, you can send me one! [emoji3]

Ropiness from pedio? If so i should dissapate with time. You got some serious **** **** in there. I want some of whatever that is. Well depending on how it tastes.

Ropiness from pedio? If so i should dissapate with time. You got some serious **** **** in there. I want some of whatever that is. Well depending on how it tastes.

If it's pedio, it'll only go away if there's Brett in there. Interesting mess you have there.

Speaking of ropy beers, here's my ropy golden sour. Pitched a pack of roeselare a year ago.

Did you use a lot of Irish moss? I've had strange floating clumps w lots of Irish moss. Those clumps never did drop out even after a year+. If it's pedio the ropiness is supposed to be gone after the first cool day or following the summer heat per Mr Sparrow.

Speaking of ropy beers, here's my ropy golden sour. Pitched a pack of roeselare a year ago.
Did you use a lot of Irish moss? I've had strange floating clumps w lots of Irish moss. Those clumps never did drop out even after a year+. If it's pedio the ropiness is supposed to be gone after the first cool day or following the summer heat per Mr Sparrow.

i had 5g of a pale in a bucket for 5 weeks, and dry hopped 3oz from my plants for about a week. There was a pellicle / hop mess that i scooped out, and the pellicle grew back in a day or two. I racked out from under it to bottle as i thought it was lacto, figuring i would carb then fridge them and drink them first as i didn't really want sour pale.

But now, after looking at a million posts and pellicles i think it might have been a wild yeast? I've got a couple questions:

-i've seen pictures that look exactly like mine (didn't take a pic, but this is same pattern, same color, same intensity), i've included one here. I copied another one from this thread, i hope it's ok. Could a lacto or brett or wild yeast create the same kind of pellicle?
it is very unlikely that you will correctly identify the source of an infection based on the appearance of the pellicle. in other words, the fact that you have a pellicle means that you have something in there but you're unlikely to know what without tasting, using a microscope, a genetic sequencer, etc.

-if i picked up a wild yeast from the hops, how likely is it that it's brett? Are all wild yeasts brett?
what we commonly refer to as "wild yeast" is not always brett. it can also be a saccharomyces (not just cerevisiae - could be eubayanus, paradoxus, uvarum, etc.), or a species of candida, hanseniaspora/kloeckera or schizosaccharomyces... lots of options.

and those are just the yeast options. if you got a bacterial infections, the options are that much more expansive.

-brett or wild yeast could possible ferment it down farther (it was finished), but could lacto take it farther?
that's a good question. i don't think lacto can super-attenuate, dunno.

but you're unlikely to know what without tasting, using a microscope, a genetic sequencer, etc.

It is taking near superhuman powers to resist buying a microscope, not to look at this infection but just to expand the brewing further. My wife says I 'conquer hobbies' and it's manifesting itself again. There is little reason to get one, I doubt it would change anything as far as my yeast prep goes, but but but but you get to look at the yeast and bacteria up close. :pipe:

edit: aaaaaand I caved. Probably bought the wrong inexpensive Chinese thing, but it was $80, trinocular, halogen, and came with a whole bunch of extra eyepieces, connectors, adapters etc.

It is taking near superhuman powers to resist buying a microscope, not to look at this infection but just to expand the brewing further. My wife says I 'conquer hobbies' and it's manifesting itself again. There is little reason to get one, I doubt it would change anything as far as my yeast prep goes, but but but but you get to look at the yeast and bacteria up close. :pipe:

edit: aaaaaand I caved. Probably bought the wrong inexpensive Chinese thing, but it was $80, trinocular, halogen, and came with a whole bunch of extra eyepieces, connectors, adapters etc.

Link please that price is around something my wife would be ok with lol

i could be wrong, but i don't believe that 100X is sufficient to see yeast (let alone bacteria).

can someone more knowledgeable confirm?

Not more knowledgeable, but Google says at least 400x for simple yeast cell counts, higher for more detailed purposes.

You multiply the power of the objective by the power of the eyepiece. Looks like the eyepiece is 10x, so it's actually 40x, 100x, 400x, 1000x.

oC6UQ1L.jpg

Any idea what I have going on here? Brett maybe? The pellicle didn't show up until after the fruit addition, so I'm assuming it came with the raspberries. I did freeze them before adding, but didn't take any other steps to sanitize them.

Its a Gose, so either way I guess a little more funk won't hurt. But I was hoping to bottle last week, and now I'll have to put that on hold for a few months.

oC6UQ1L.jpg

Any idea what I have going on here? Brett maybe? The pellicle didn't show up until after the fruit addition, so I'm assuming it came with the raspberries. I did freeze them before adding, but didn't take any other steps to sanitize them.

Its a Gose, so either way I guess a little more funk won't hurt. But I was hoping to bottle last week, and now I'll have to put that on hold for a few months.

There lacto in there too or was it a kettle sour?

Brewed a gose last week and racked directly onto the yeast cake for a sour porter. The porter was the 3rd usage of this roeselare cake. More lacto and less sherry was coming through when compared to the 1st and 2nd usages of the roeselare, so I wanted to see how this would work with a gose.

IMG_3336.jpg

IMG_3337.jpg

Latest posts

Back