Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvorp

Reaction score
I just brewed the Dunkelwizen kit from Brewer's Best. I have followed the instructions and the beer seems to be a bit too carbonated for what I usually like. I have heard of saving part of your wort in an air tight container and using that to charge your beer rather than the priming sugar that comes with the kits.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I just want a little less carbonation in the final product. I am also not sure how much sugar I absolutely need for proper carbonation.

I just meant I brewed it recently. The instructions said to wait 2 weeks after bottling. Its been 2 weeks since I bottled and I tasted a few and they were too carbonated.

Still good to drink, but just a bit too much for me.

Since a good part of brewing is science it really helps us help folks if they are more specific in the detail they give us. Time, recipe, gravities, are all important factors it understanding your beer, for both you the brewer, and us the "beerdoctors."

Saying "i brewed it recently" doesn't really give us enough info to work with. :D

At two weeks it may seem over carbed, but it's because it's not rally carbed yet. I know, it sounds confusing, but bear with me.

You are catching it at a point, more than likely where the beer hasn't yet fully incorporated the co2 back into solution..

How long did you chill the bottle before tasting it? The longer you chill it the more it will pull it into solution as well.

But generally we recommend a minimum of three weeks at 70 to carb and condition most average gravity beers. Some take longer, weeks or months even.

I bet that if you leave your bottles alone for another week minimum, then chill a couple down for at least 48 hours...your beer will be carbed just fine.

More info about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

The saving part of your wort way of carbing won't mean your beer is more or less carbed, you have to adjust the amount of priming sugar (or in that case wort) to do that.

Most kits give you between 4.5 and 5 ounces of sugar which give you between 2 and 2.5 volumes of co2, which is normal for most beers. But in the future you can adjust the beer by "carbing to style" using more or less sugar dependant on the style of beer you are brewing and bottling. DO some searching for that info.

But I really think your beer will balance out fine in a couple of weeks.

Back