Great pub in central Iowa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastwood44mag

Reaction score
If you're ever in Ames, IA, you have to visit Olde Maine Brewing Co. Great beer, great food. Beer is very reasonable, food is very high. Plus, if you join the Beer Enthusiasts Union, you get 25 oz mugs for $3, free beer every time a new batch is released, and 10% rebate on food.

No, I don't work for them, but I love going there.

Any other good brew pubs in Iowa? I was born and raised till I was in grade school in Marshalltown. I try to go back and visit la familia every couple years.

My wife talks about wanting to move back to Algona, Iowa where her family is from. I told her "OK", as long as I can open a brewpub.

Iowa's not the best territory for outstanding brewpubs, in my opinion. There are a couple in Des Moines that are alright (but nothing to write home about), and the same is true of the few other large cities. The Quad Cities area (Davenport/Moline) is better: Front Street in Davenport is pretty good, and the Bent River Brewing Company in Moline (IL) is great.

Cheesefood said:
My wife talks about wanting to move back to Algona, Iowa where her family is from. I told her "OK", as long as I can open a brewpub.

Cheese,

When you get ready to open in Algona, let me know...I'll be there!

I would agree that here in Iowa we don't have the best options for brew pubs. Part of the problem is the alcohol restrictions the state puts on. It's difficult to purchase any beer over 8% alcohol in the stores because the state regulates it, and if a small shop wants to purchase something in that range they have to purchase huge amounts.

As far as brewpubs go, Cedar Brewing Company in Cedar Rapids does a good job, as well as Raccoon River Brewing Company in Des Moines. There's also a micro brew bar in Des Moines called el Bait Shop that doesn't brew, but has 105 micro brews on tap! Great place.

drost

Where is that in Ames?

I lived there from 1994-2002. It sure could have used a good brewpub then!

Snakebone said:
Don't go to Brick Town in Dubuque. It is a restaurant micro brewery that has expensive food and warm beer.

Warm beer is the best kind! :mug: Well more like room temperature. I find that most restaurants serve their beer way too cold. The cold covers up a lot of the aroma and flavor of the beer. Isn't that what drinking beer is all about? :tank:

I realize some beers are good at room temp and that some people like it this way. But! If this place wants to cater to the 1% that likes warm beer they can do that and go out of business or they can turn down the temp. a little(a lot). This place only gets tourists because my friends that live in the area don't go there because of the warm beer. Bottom line, no repeat business from locals.

cweston said:
Where is that in Ames?

I lived there from 1994-2002. It sure could have used a good brewpub then!

It's just down the street from Great Plains Sauce and Dough! :fro:

Snakebone said:
Bottom line, no repeat business from locals.

Actually, there is a lot of repeat business from the locals... unfortunately it is from those that are 18-20. At night, bricktown has become one of the big underage drinking bars in Dubuque, which is sad, because when they opened they were all about the beers they brewed. Then they realized there was more money in selling crap beer to young kids packed into a loud cellar.

I grew up in Dubuque and my family still lives there and I used to enjoy going to bricktown when I visited. Not any more.

BTW, the best brewery in Iowa was Stone City brewery in Solon, Iowa. They closed a few years ago, which was sad because their Artist Colony Ale was one of my all time favorite beers. :(

robnog said:
Actually, there is a lot of repeat business from the locals... unfortunately it is from those that are 18-20. At night, bricktown has become one of the big underage drinking bars in Dubuque, which is sad, because when they opened they were all about the beers they brewed. Then they realized there was more money in selling crap beer to young kids packed into a loud cellar.

I grew up in Dubuque and my family still lives there and I used to enjoy going to bricktown when I visited. Not any more.

BTW, the best brewery in Iowa was Stone City brewery in Solon, Iowa. They closed a few years ago, which was sad because their Artist Colony Ale was one of my all time favorite beers. :(

I'm from Dubuque also and still have family there. My friends are mostly in their early forties and laugh about the place. They are losing out on alot of business from these guys and gals.

Latest posts

Back