sour/bitter/hoppy tasting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banefulwraith

Reaction score
allright now this beer i made is VERY hoppy tasting (northern brewer) is is litterally the kit for belgian ale by more beer!

anyway here is where my un believeable conundrum is ...

might the beer taste this way because it is young? (it still taste like an unflavored bitter bluemoon)

yes i know im stupid but i was in a rush... so by too young i mean...

started last monday 3 days after i put into secondary bottled at a final gravity of 1.008 ish figured it was done and i bottled yesterday so roughly 6 days total time to date....

does it just need more time to get some flavor going? or is it just ruined and i need to not rush the batch next time...( i only rushed because it was fermenting at 78 degrees F... yes i know this is hot but its like 100 outside)

so amoung these what may be it, also i read not sanitizing may be it... however i was very anal retentive when it came to everything i used star-san oxy clean bleach everything, and it was all washed in this like 3 times....

With temps that high, the chances of you having some pretty fruity off flavors in your beer are good. I wouldn't say the batch is ruined, just not perfect. Give it another 3-4 weeks to condition. Some beers just need more time than others to come together.

what kind of belgian ale is it? what kind of yeast did you use?

regardless, it is WAY too young to even be sampling it... as SC1884 said, let it condition properly, then taste, but my guess is it will need even more time after it has carbed up.

Recipes always help in troubleshooting. However, right off the top I can tell you that the beer was bottled way too early. The process that goes on in the primary fermenter is a multi-step one that the yeast must complete for your brew to be its best. The final process the yeast under goes is a sedimentation phase in which the yeast gathers up compounds that will be needed when the yeast awakens from dormancy. A lot of these compounds are the same ones that cause off flavors in beer. Next time give your brew at least two weeks in the primary, preferably 3 or 4.

Also, +1 for letting it bottle condition at least three weeks.

The four most important things for a new brewer to remember:
1) RDWHAHB
2) Sanitize
3) Control fermentation temps
4) Patience

Recipes always help in troubleshooting. However, right off the top I can tell you that the beer was bottled way too early. The process that goes on in the primary fermenter is a multi-step one that the yeast must complete for your brew to be its best. The final process the yeast under goes is a sedimentation phase in which the yeast gathers up compounds that will be needed when the yeast awakens from dormancy. A lot of these compounds are the same ones that cause off flavors in beer. Next time give your brew at least two weeks in the primary, preferably 3 or 4.

Also, +1 for letting it bottle condition at least three weeks.

The four most important things for a new brewer to remember:
1) RDWHAHB
2) Sanitize
3) Control fermentation temps
4) Patience

I completely agree with this. My most recent brew (a german weiss) was done fermenting in 36 hours. That was two weeks ago, but I've still got it in the fermenter. Waiting longer to bottle may seem like a waste of time, but it produces much better beer in the end. Patience is key. I can't say I've waited that long on everything. When I brew a Wit, I feel like they taste better at a young age. I usually primary for two weeks, keg, and drink at 3 weeks total.

Also, on patience being good. One of my last extract beers was an Irish Red kit from Brewer's Best. It tasted okay, but inspired me to move to all-grain. I ended up giving a lot of this beer away because it wasn't "great". I found one sitting in my closet a few weeks ago and stuck it in my fridge for a few days. I was extremely suprised how well it tasted after close to a year of conditioning.

wow thankyou everyone, i would have provided a recipe. i just wasnt sure whether it would help lol, it sounds like the hoppy flavor will chill out in some time, in the meantime i geuss i just sit and hope my bottles dont all blow up o.0

the recipe was:

6lbs light LME
0.5 lbs belgian candi
o.5 lbs light DME
1 oz nothern brewer hops (added after water was boiling left in for 60 mins)
1 0z northern brewer hops (added last 10 mins for aroma/flavoring)
1 wharfloc tab
wyyeast wlp 550

but i agree i think maybe i was WAY to hasty i might crack one open in a week see how it taste if it's getting better that will put my mind at ease

I would say you pulled it off of the yeast too soon, and did not allow the yeast to clean up after themselves. Because of that it will take longer to condition in bottles, so I would say don't even try another sample until three more weeks have passed. You can distract yourself by starting another batch right now.
Filling up the pipeline helps me with patience.

lol i was just thinking about doing that kauai kahuna, but unfortunately i will need to wait a week to do so, but should be interesting anyways. ty ^^

not trying to bumb, but thought those who were having this problem later may want to know,

the bitter taste died WAY down after only a week, the beer is tasting excellent. thankyou for all your help

I brewed 2 different blue moon clones that were both about 40% wheat 50% 2 row and 10% oats. They both have some crushed corriander and some dried orange peel added about 5 min flameout. Hops where a basic bittering and very low bitterness. The first one used white labs amercian wheat yeast (low floccuating) brewed around 68-74. The second was US-05 (medium floccuating) brewed at about 66-72. Both where in the primary for 2 weeks and 2 weeks secondary. The off taste i got on both was kind of a bitter, dry and sour. It kind of taste like yeast bite but i dont know how i have that. I kegged both and let the first one (much more bitter) sit at 40 degrees for 1 week and it still is bitter the other transfered to keg and tastes bitter as well at 2 days cold condition. I only get this taste on the wheat beers. I have been told that wheat should be ready to drink by 3 weeks why is my older aged beers taste so nasty! Has anyone else got this or got a solution. I dont think i have contamination. Would adding some gelatin to the keg help if the taste is coming from low floccuating yeast? I will try and make the description better but i cant really think of exactly how it taste. The best i can do is when you drink some, you kinda get dry mouth and stick out your tounge. If it helps i can choke down a glass and see if i get the screaming s**ts or get crazy gassy

I have the same problem with an Amercian Ale. Very bitter. This was a kit package, primary 2 weeks, secondary 2 weeks, bottled and set for week before 1st 6 pack was put into the fridge. Should I just let age for another 3-4 weeks? The beer is very bitter.

Take any bottles left of the 6 pack you put in the refrigerator out and let them warm up to room temperature for another 2 weeks and try again, this time with a single bottle to see it it has "come around". If not, wait again and try another. Sometimes beer seems to mature quite quickly but usually they need more time.

Old thread bump.Just noticed.
Take them out one week is not long enough, just leave them out and stick one in the fridge to check on them every week or few weeks. Then refrigerate them where you like them, i have a pipeline so i just leave mine conditioning untill i want to drink them.
How was the carbonation after a week?. Just make shure you bottle primed with the right amount of sugar for the volume you had, if your going to let them conditon further of course.

Back