Beer Equiment Vs. Root Beer Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
My LHBS owner told me that anything that my rootbeer touches can not be used for brewing beer. I find this hard to believe, specially for the stainless steel corny kegs. I could possibly see this being true for the beer line from the corny to my Blichman Beer Gun, but I'm sure if I flush it out immediatly, or clean it with PBW it should be fine. And how exactly would it contaminate? color? sugar? taste?

Anyone got 2 cents on this?

I've heard that a dedicated set of root beer O-Rings is all the corny needs, but the keg should be fine to use

Root beer and Dr. Pepper, these two flavors seem to soak into anything rubber, like o-rings & poppet valves. I haven't noticed any problem in poly beer lines that BLC or PBW can't solve, but o-rings you're talking replacement. SS? I don't want to meet that root in a dark alley!

I agree with what the others have said. It is only the keg o-rings that will absorb the odor of root beer, and to a lesser degree, the quick disconnects. I have found that an overnight soak in BLC with remove the odor. Don't forget the faucet also has some o-rings in it. Have a Perlick that is dedicated to soda. As far as the S.S. keg is concerned, you may very well have a keg that was used for root beer in the past.

John

david_42 said:
Root beer and Dr. Pepper, these two flavors seem to soak into anything rubber, like o-rings & poppet valves.

OT:

Well is was going to replace them anyways, but this is good to know. I just scored a nice red corny full of Dr. Pepper.

Back