Brewing in the 60's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My dad was homebrewing back in the mid to late 60's. I was too young to remember it being done, but I do remember hearing about the Bottle Bombs going off under mom and dad's bed. At least that is what they said it was!
Anyway, I'm sure it was nowhere near like brewing today. No internet, probably no LHS, no support groups. So how do you think they did it? Where did he get his supplies, recipies? He has passed away or I'm sure he would be happy to spend several days telling me.

There have been a few references here to old kits that were similar to the current kit and kilo sets. I know there used to be a Pabst Blue Ribbon one. It was a can of LME (pre-hopped) with a bag a sugar and some dry yeast. I only know about it from here.... sorry I have no more insight. But perhaps a search for Pabst could reveal something.

I was re-listening to some of my favorite Basic Brewing Podcast, and there is one on this very topic.

February 14, 2008 - Homebrew History
Charlie Papazian shares a bit of homebrew history 30 years after legislation legalizing home brewing passed Congress. Also, home brewer Robb Holmes talks about brewing when it was breaking the law.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr02-14-08history.mp3

I've posted some stuff on here about it, including copies of the original pre-pohibition pilsner recipes talked about in the podcast...if you search for Blue Ribbon Malt Extract, you're bound to stumble upon it...

When I started brewing (a few years ago) my friend told me a story of how is uncle used to brew in his bathtub back in the early 70's. :drunk:

That stuff had to taste like swamp water

Listening to it now Revvy. Apparently legalized in 1978. Dad was an outlaw!
Interesting, Thanks

Listen to the two part interview with Maureen Ogle, the author of ambitious brew, she covers the history of beerfrom the 1800's through prohibition into the present.

It's in their archives...

I just scored from Craigslist an old homebrewer's entire kit. For $30.

240 bottles...most of them old Budweiser bottles (some with the labels still on)...thick glass, pop-tops. Beautiful. Plus a plastic fermenting bucket--short and wide, still seals (fermenting in it now)--a short little hydrometer with a hand-numbered insert, an old recipe pamphlet, and an index card file of his recipes. Stuff is probably 30 years old. Works great. Total score. I'll never have to buy bottles again.

Listen to Johnny Cash Live at San Quentin 1969 when he asks, "What are you all drinking in those tall purple cups?" and someone yells out, "Homebrew!"

Back