What to do with Yakima Goldings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebl

Reaction score
So digging through the hop chest today, I found a little over an ounce of Yakima Goldings. Anyone have a good idea for these babies?

I also have:

centennial
cascade
pearle
magnum
simcoe
a splash of glacier

I need some brew ideas for the fall, so lay them on me.

Dry hop an English Bitter with them. Yakima Goldings are a cultivar of East Kent Goldings, and are very similar. With the current shortage of true EK Goldings, many commercial breweries have shifted to US or Canadian-grown Goldings.

So. Make a Bitter or Special Bitter. I like an OG of ~1.040. Use around 0.75 lb UK Crystal (55L), 0.5 lb Malted Wheat,the rest UK Pale Malt or Maris Otter.

Bitter with Magnum - judiciously! Magnum can impart a harsh flavor if overused! - to the middle of the BJCP IBU guidelines. Don't late-hop at all, and add all of the Goldings to the secondary (if used) or dry-hop in the keg (if used). If you're going to keg, don't overcarbonate; shoot for volumes ~1.8.

That should give you a pleasantly hoppy, traditional quaffing Bitter for the fall!

Well dag nabbit. Bob just said what I was going to.

Otherwise, You sez you has Glacier. You could do Orfy's Hobgoblin with 1/2 Yak Goldings and 1/2 Glacier for the hop additions, instead of 1/2 Styrian 1/2 Fuggles. Compensate the AA's as necessary.

Another alternative (for a nice Winter beer) is to do up a Dry Stout, and use either All-Yakima Goldings, or half-and-half Yak Golds and Glacier for the 60 minute bittering addition (30-45 IBUs worth), and leave out all late hops. 2/3 lb of Roasted Barley for the color and the roast, a little Caramel malt if you feel like it (but I'd leave it out!) and a bunch of Pale Malt for the base. Mmm Mmm stouty goodness.

Also, your Cascade, Centennial, and Simcoe are calling, they want you to make a delicous American Pale with them :p

Also, your Cascade, Centennial, and Simcoe are calling, they want you to make a delicous American Pale with them :p

Oh don't worry, I keep and IPA and a Pale Ale bottled/kegged all the time. I really think Cascade and Centennial hopped ale's can't be beat. Sometimes its hard for me stray from those beers.

Back