Controller for fridge/freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtvinny

Reaction score
I recently scored an Amana chest freezer and a side by side GE fridge/freezer. I think I would like to use the Freezer side on the GE for a kegorator and just replace the water/ice dispensor with my taps. What I am wondering is how does the temp controller work with a fridge/freezer combo? If I have it set for 35-37 degrees on the freezer side will the fridge side still cool like normal? Thanks

The temp controller basically unplugs your fridge/freezer, so whatever side your probe is on, when the proper temp is reached, both sides will turn off.

*edit
just reread your post. I would put the probe in the freezer set at 35, and put a thermometer in the fridge side, wait 24 hours then you will know what the temp will be for the fridge. Normal fridge temps are around 35-40. Good luck with your project!

thanks bro

I eventually plan on gankin' the chest freezer for this but I just wanted to be able to use the freezer side of the fridge for now. I can just make up a plastic front to put the shanks and taps through for now and then change it back and there will no permanent damage.

I have almost the same thing, I use my side by side for my Keggerator (fridge side) and then I use the freezer side for storing hops etc.
I use the chest freezer for fermenting in, and grain storage.

Just another thought.

Sherpa FE said:
I have almost the same thing, I use my side by side for my Keggerator (fridge side) and then I use the freezer side for storing hops etc.
I use the chest freezer for fermenting in, and grain storage.

Just another thought.

Great Idea! of Storage..I have been thinking A similar thing. What do you think of Keeping the Fermenting in the Fridge and Drinking and Taps and ful kegs on the Freezer side? Use the Internal Setting for the Fridge and Refer Coldness to create your Temperature differential.
Keep Beer fermenting and keep beer cold all in one? Keep the Temp probe in the refer side and set to the fermenting temp. Use the controls to create on off set in temp to keep the freezer side the desired temp.
Any one try this?

Back