American Pale Ale Square Pond Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACSlater

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
Dry
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 65º
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 65º
Tasting Notes
Light and crisp, citrus and tropical fruit notes
This was my first real success in brewing. I had some issues with consistency of carbonation prior to this, as I had been using Fizz Drops. Lots of flat beers and gushers. This was the first time I had batch primed with dextrose. This was a very simple recipe I just happened to stumble on completely by accident when brewing 1 gallon batches just after I started and I converted it to a 5 gallon recipe. It's extract based so far, but I'll be attempting to make it an all-grain recipe in the near future. So far, I seem to have knocked this one out of the park, as the response is universally excellent. I can't keep enough of this stuff on hand for everyone!

I started with 5lbs of Briess Sparkling Amber DME. I like the extra bit of color it imparts to the finished beer in pale ales. It's a bit overkill when upping the gravity for an IPA, but in a pale ale, it works great. At flameout, I added in 1½lbs of corn sugar to bump the gravity. Hop additions are again very simple. Mt Hood up front for smooth, balanced bittering without getting crazy and a little Amarillo on the back end mainly as a flavor/aroma addition. Racked to secondary mainly to clear it for bottling. No fining or cold crashing required.

Grain:
5lbs - Briess Sparkling Amber DME (12.5 SRM) - 76.9%
1½lbs - Corn Sugar (0 SRM) - 23.1%

Hops:
2oz - Mt. Hood - 60 minutes - Alpha 5.7% - IBUs 34.6
.7oz - Amarillo - 6 minutes - Alpha 8.2% - IBUs 4.1

The finished product is an incredibly clear, rich amber color with a white, single-finger head that leaves very little lacing. Aroma is very light, but the flavor is fantastic. This is a consistent favorite wherever I bring it.

Back