Historical Beers George Washington's Small Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399736302.291097.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sitting drinking an uncarbed bottle from batch one thinking that actually it is very good, bubbles would help but thinking maybe I would try this again, although it hasn't cleared I think cold crashing with some gelatin helped the mouth feel a bit which I'd do again, and maybe a touch of proper molasses, I used northern brewer hops for this which I think is perfect, the string hoppy bitterness helps hide the lack of malt, and having been brought up on golden syrup I can definitely taste it and is very pleasant, just gave my wife's 82 year old grand mother a taste and she loved it!

So after letting half of the batch carbonate (I did a very light carbonation on it) and sit for a couple weeks, it's actually not all that bad. My seemingly extreme hops addition somehow ended up really subdued. This has an interesting fruity profile that's reminiscent of ciders, but not exactly. I think that with a bit more balancing, some more bran to give more body, and more molasses (I ended up undershooting because I somehow managed to let my stock of sugar get low at my apartment on brew day, and just went with it when making the molasses), it could actually be a really good unique beer.

Overall, with some more work, I could actually see this being a really good beer. I'm going to play with it more and hopefully have a REALLY good batch ready for 4th of July.

Yeah, the "cidery" aspect mellows over time. I have a 6'er of my last batch waiting for the 4th. This beer cellars very well (at least, the batches I have made have lasted well over several months).

Sitting drinking an uncarbed bottle from batch one thinking that actually it is very good, bubbles would help but thinking maybe I would try this again, although it hasn't cleared I think cold crashing with some gelatin helped the mouth feel a bit which I'd do again, and maybe a touch of proper molasses, I used northern brewer hops for this which I think is perfect, the string hoppy bitterness helps hide the lack of malt, and having been brought up on golden syrup I can definitely taste it and is very pleasant, just gave my wife's 82 year old grand mother a taste and she loved it!

It's unique, but it is a pretty tasty brew. I've only used Liberty hops but I'm going to start playing with other kinds.

Going to start a new round of making this brew, with some modern varieties as well as anything I can figure out is historically close to colonial times. It's been too long since I had some GW small beer!

Cheers to any Townsends folks who are looking for 18th century recipes, which made me remember about my work on this recipe years ago!

Back