New Cellar Management App

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rico

Reaction score
Greetings fellow brew nerds. My name is Ryan and I am looking to do a little market research for a mobile app I'm creating. I was hoping to get some feedback from fellow brewers and beer lovers on the concept and shape functionality by your collective needs and desires. What I would like to do is list some ideas of functionality and purpose and you give me constructive criticism. Please feel free to be as honest and blunt as possible as I am trying to cater to a very specific crowd (you) and want to make this perfect. At the end of this what I’ll be asking for is not just feedback, but also please rate the desire/need for an app like this on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being not helpful and 5 being extremely helpful.

I am looking to create an app specifically for cellaring beer. I know there are other apps out there that do this as well as some other awesome features, but what I’m looking to do is create a very specific app just for cellaring. We would provide you a virtual environment in which you can manage your stock, set reminders for peaking, while providing all of the specs including abv, srm, ibu, etc..

Functionality:

• A virtual environment in which you can note beers you have in your cellar
• Reminders will sync with your phone calendar
• Ability to export your inventory to an excel sheet
• Access to the platform from a web based UI as well as a mobile UI
• Space for notes
• Ability to share your profile, inventory, and experiences with other users

Please list this concept on that scale of 1-5 with as many notes and comments that you can fit. Please feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions and I look forward to your feedback!

+5
+5
+3
+4
• Space for notes
+10
+2

Another addition to the functionality would be to include fermentations as well as cellaring. No?

Import, export, access from multiple platforms are all most important to me. Sharing and reminders are less important in my eye.

+5

+2

+4

+5

• Space for notes
+3

+1

Please list this concept on that scale of 1-5 with as many notes and comments that you can fit. Please feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions and I look forward to your feedback!

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your input so far, it's very helpful. What I'm seeing is general interest in the concept, and with some additional great ideas. As a homebrewer I understand the need for a fermentation management tool as lately I have multiple brews in several locations and it is proving to be a task keeping up with it.

I am seeing some interest and new ideas for the app, and the ratings are very valuable so please continue to use them. Let me know if you have any questions or desired features, and please keep the feedback coming!

Cheers

Hi Ryan!

I have an OS X app for wine cellaring, and I'd totally be up for sharing my experiences with that and even the code for it since I no longer have time to maintain it. It could be adapted pretty easily, and i have started work on a beer ontology that you may find useful as well. PM me if interested..... Could build yourself a little beverage management empire!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your feedback, is there anything else you can think of? or anything else you would find necessary/critical to your cellar management?

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your feedback, is there anything else you can think of? or anything else you would find necessary/critical to your cellar management?

Thanks

User feedback in the form of age quality. If I am aging a 2010 SN Bigfoot and others are drinking it, it would be nice to know at what year people find it the most enjoyable and what exactly they are tasting compared to a fresh bottle.

We can then start to generalize the age quality of beers; beer x seems to age very well until 5 years, or tastes best at year 3, but the 2009 seems to age better than the rest. Something along those lines. Almost like an Untappd app for beer aging along with the cellar program

EDIT- It would be nice to see this info as you select your beer for aging, like an aging bio for the beer. This might help people in a store as well when they are trying to find a good buy.

Back