George Washington's Small Beer..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

profarm

Reaction score
Here in Houston there is an AM (conservitive) radio station that has a segment on beer. They were talking about George Washington's Small Beer recipe. I guess they are going to get some local craft brewers to decifer and brew it...I would like to know what's in it and how to brew it. It is very broad in its description.

http://www.the950.com/pages/The950BeerPage.html?page=2

I have a decoded version from a volume of, 'American Frontiersman'. Deceptively simple. I just brewed it this weekend- looking forward to the bottling, and more importantly, the taste testing in about 4 weeks.

4lbs 2 oz six row
6 lbs unsulfured molasses
2 oz hops
dry ale yeast
Place milled six-row barley malt in a brew pot, add 6.5 gallons of water and heat slowly to 170 degrees over very low heat, then raise the temperature to 212 degrees. Add the hops, boil 3 hours, strain out the mash and add the molasses. Cool quickly, just as you would any homebrew recipe, and pitch the yeast. From there on out, the instructions would be the same as a standard extract recipe.

Don't know the O.G., George didn't check his- I didn't check mine.

I'll let you know as soon as I have an official review!

Back