Quick connects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCuckerson

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am in the process of building a HERMS and I debating whether or not to go with quick connects. I do not know which ones would work and what material is safe. Can anyone point in the right direction? Thanks!

The SS quick connectors are "top of the line". If you need or want to save some money check following connectors from McMaster Carr. They are brass fitting with silicone seals (you know they can handle high temperatures). These are the same ones recommended by Bobby M on a previous posting.

I use them in all my connections. Make assembly and dis-assembly so much easier.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#6739k68/=4wr4y7

High-Flow Hose Couplings for Coolant:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/282/=4wr854

Bottom side of the page.

Cheers! :mug:

I just got these;

IMG_00871.jpg

I think they are going to work real well. It is not going to be one handed but very easy anyway.

I got them from ProFlowDynamics.com

Dude, this is a treasure! I was so happy before but now...

Why did you post this? why, why why! Now, I have to buy some (for testing !). This looks like a great option for larger size hose. I have used cam lock connectors in other applications and they work great. Like you said, the only caveat is the positive engagement and lock in to position, you need both hands.

Thank you for sharing this finding!
Cheers! :mug:

The SS QD's from morebeer.com are really nice. I hae them throughout my RIMS and love them. They are fairly priced and come in either barbed or 1/2" MPT. I know people say brass is safe so you can go that way also. I personally wanted no brass so I spent a little more.

Looks great to me. Too bad their out of the 1/2" MNPT male.

He told me they are getting more soon. When I ordered mine a few weeks ago he said he would have another shipment towards the end of December. If you are interested give them a call they are really friendly to work with.

Fantastic!! Stainless for a lot less than I've seen elsewhere. Although being dumb as a rock, I'm a bit confused... I know you've got the half inch type F there, but what are you using for the barbed side?

I have tried them dry. I am not finished with my system yet. They seem pretty easy to use and the seal seems super tight. I think they are going to be great. I won't be able to tell you more for a few more weeks.

There is a seal inside the female coupler. It is black rubber. Not sure what type. If you have concerns, It seems like it would be real easy to pop out and replace with the red high temp type. I am not going to worry about it too much. I will inspect them after my leak tests and my first hot run. Then decide if I should worry.

Why not use these? http://www.pressuretek.com/bustcopl.html

I haven't test run these yet, but for $6 a set, I'm not complaining. The 3/8" NPT requires a 1/2" MNPT to 3/8" FPNT bushing to fit all my valves, but does not restrict the flow as the inside dia. is still wider than the inside of the 1/2" hose barb. I paired these with the bushings for the Male fittings and the 3/8" MNPT to 1/2" Barb fittings for the hoses. I'm just waiting for the hose to come in order to test this out.

I think I've read that the rubber seal in these might pose an issue, but I'll replace with a silicone o-ring if I have to. Wish me luck.

Back