Extract brewing with false bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simphoto02

WoodyBlue
Reaction score
So I got this false bottom and a bazooka screen for my brew pot. I am sitting here asking if I should try to use them to filter out trub.

Will the false bottom cause the extract to burn on the real bottom?

false bottoms are for all grain brewing. as far as trub goes wherl pooling and using a siphon with a cup on the bottom (dont know the technical term) is all you really need to do ... if your worried about scorching add the false bottom about 15 min before you stop boiling to sanitize it. then siphon from inside that ... but depending on how close the false bottom is to the bottom of your pot you may be waisting more wart than if you just siphoned with out it.

I would assume that your brew pot has a ball valve attached for draining? That's really the only way you would want to use a false bottom as that acts as a filter when draining your mash tun. I personally would not recommend using a false bottom when boiling due to the possibility of scorching. A bazooka screen would be fine I would imagine and may help "filter" your wort before going into the fermenter, but that is definately not required by any means.

Personally, I would just hold off on using those until you start getting into AG brews.

Back