NB Honey Weizen - is 3 weeks enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hexmonkey

Reaction score
I got ambitious and announced that I would brew a beer for the bosses' July 4th BBQ. Problem is, I didn't check the calendar first. I gave myself a total of 3 weeks to have this beer from kettle to glass.

I brewed the NB Honey Weizen extract kit last Friday (6/12) and it got from 1.048 -> 1.008 in about 48 hours. Right now, it's still fairly opaque with yeast in suspension.

Being a weizen, I understand it's not supposed to be brilliantly clear, but how long should I wait for the yeast to settle before kegging? Do I need to cold crash it or use finings to get some of the yeast out?

Or is the yeast not my primary concern in getting this beer ready for July 4th?

I wouldn't be concerned about the yeast in suspension. Since it sounds like it has fully fermented, it is just a matter of conditioning. I would let it sit on the yeast cake for a week and then rack to the keg and cold condition for the remainder of the time. How did you manage to get it to ferment so quickly? Must have pitched a huge starter. I think the beer will be fine.
mark
Beer Diary...
Brew School Home Pg1

How did you manage to get it to ferment so quickly? Must have pitched a huge starter.

I used Safbrew WB-06 dry yeast, no starter, just rehydrated before I pitched. Aeration was accomplished by shaking the carboy for about 10 min. before pitching.

I don't have temperature control at all, just keeping the carboy in the coolest area in the apartment. It fermented on the higher end of the temp scale, mid-to-high-70's.

When I saw the krausen fell back some after the first 24 hrs., I shook the carboy a bit to rouse the yeast just in case it was stuck. Judging by the airlock today, it looked finished so I checked the gravity and got 1.008.

Back