What happens when the Hops reach the top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoots

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First year grower here and I was wondering what happens when the hops reach the top of the twine? I have about 16-18 feet of twine for the hops to climb, but I have no idea what will happen when they reach the top. I am building a hop trellis like in the March/April BYO out of pipe and 4x4s.

They bush up and send out sidearms looking for something to grab. It is very unlikely they will exceed 16' this year, unless you have a radioactive green thumb.

put the nitrogen to them also get some fish fert and make a foliar spray do it once a week stop all nitrogen july 7th

put the nitrogen to them also get some fish fert and make a foliar spray do it once a week stop all nitrogen july 7th

Whoa, I did not exactly follow that. I gather that means a nitrogen based fertilizer. How high? Organic or inorganic (or does that not matter much)? Can you get fish fertilizer in the Midwest (Wisconsin)? Do I apply the fertilizer directly under the mulch? All this talk makes me really excited!

I've had vines go over the top and then go down the other side if they are heavy enough and grew fast enough. Otherwise they grow horizontally along the wire at the top. If you don't want this to happen you could cut the very top of the vine once it gets tall enough. The plant will focus on producing bigger cones on that vine.

Back