More Kegging Questions - Storing uncarbonated brew in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyShootist

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a question about kegging. If you were to make say a 10 gal batch and you have 2 Corny kegs can you put the finished beer, uncarbonated, into the second keg and will it keep? Should you go ahead and use priming sugar in the second keg in order to carbonate the brew or can it sit there uncarbonated until such time as you are ready to drink and then force carbonate at that time?

What's the prevailing wisdom?

Greetings,

I have a question about kegging. If you were to make say a 10 gal batch and you have 2 Corny kegs can you put the finished beer, uncarbonated, into the second keg and will it keep? Should you go ahead and use priming sugar in the second keg in order to carbonate the brew or can it sit there uncarbonated until such time as you are ready to drink and then force carbonate at that time?

What's the prevailing wisdom?

You do all of the above. You can just give it a shot of co2 to seat the lid, and make sure there aren't any leaks, and then save it until there's a space in the kegerator. You can prime, or you can force carb. It doesn't matter at all, except the primed beer might have more sediment.

If you do prime, make sure you pull the pressure release valve before putting it on the gas to serve, just to ensure you don't have any back flow from the keg.

I don't prime in the keg any more, since force carbing is so quick and easy, but I've done it before without any issues.

I'm with Yoop on the giving it a shot of CO2, making sure it's sealed and not leaking anywhere else, like the PRV, but make sure you release the PRV a few times while it is on the CO2, to purge any air from the top of the corny.

Let the internal pressure stabilize, by listening to when CO2 has stopped entering the keg, close the gas shut off valve and remove from the CO2 Q.D.

Back