To rake or not to rake that is the question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aycockbrews

Reaction score
my first batch will be a muntons pre hopped bitter ipa. I plan on using a amber DME and safale 04. gonna use the water bath trick. what I was told by the local place. to get a 5 gallon carboy and rake into that after fermentation. do I really need to or can it go straight to bottles. and into the frig or another water bath or my closet.

Need to be a little more specific. By water bath are you talking about conntrolling fermentation temps or cooling the wort before racking into the carboy and pitching the yeast?

You will probably have less sediment in the bottle if you use a secondary. But strictly speaking, you probably can get by without a secondary (IM-EAC-O). The "cap" button is the one on the left marked "caps lock". :D

water bath is gonna be for fermentation. gonna put the bucket in a tote with water and a towel over it.

Secondary is not really neccessary. It is for dry hopping, adding fruit, etc. Your beer will clear up more in a secondary but not enough really for the hassle of racking to the secondary. Others swear by the secondary and will say it is neccessary, it all boils down to what you really want to do.

I have less sediment using a month long primary than I ever did when I secondaried.

I don't know about raking, (I try to avoid lawnwork whenever I can) but I keep racking to a minimum.

I have less sediment using a month long primary than I ever did when I secondaried.

I have done three batches of brew (still new) and first two I put into secondaries and the last I left in primary for 4+ weeks and I can agree completely with this statement. I can notice a HUGE difference after bottling regarding sediment.

Latest posts

Back