My Hefeweizen Was Best REALLY Young

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polamalu43

Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve read on here that hefeweizens are best consumed young. However, at only four weeks old, I already notice mine might be on the decline. Don’t get me wrong, I still love it. However, my palate preferred the taste of the beer at three weeks as opposed to four weeks. I brewed a simple extract recipe with wyeast 3068 and fermented it at warm temps (around 75). I got a great, strong banana ester flavors. However, as time as gone on, they have mellowed a good bit and are being replaced by dry, pilsnery flavors. While some may prefer this, I personally actually liked it a little better when the banana was more pronounced. I realize that this change (esters mellow, yeast clean up byproducts of fermentation) is natural and supposed to happen in bottle-conditioned beer. I’m simply saying that I honestly preferred it before it started mellowing my precious banana esters.

Also, I’m not advocating every noob open their beer after three weeks. I had an IPA (my second batch) that SUCKED until around week 5 or 6, whereabouts it got pretty damn good.

In any event, thanks to all who helped me make my second solid beer (two out of my first three ain’t bad). To all other noobs like me, try your hef’s young—i.e. immediately after carbonation. See what you think of them.

Just my two cents.

I've noticed the same thing you mentioned with your IPA. I made a Scottish ale that sucked 2-3 weeks in the keg. I ignored it, hoping it would just go away, but it just stuck around until it was time to play kill the keg almost 2 months later - and it was friggin AWESOME beer that emptied in like 2 weeks.

Some beers just don't come into their own for a while, and it's a reminder never to pitch anything you've already bottled unless it's obvious (floating baddies) that it's not worth saving.

polamalu43 said:
Hi,
I’ve read on here that hefeweizens are best consumed young. However, at only four weeks old, I already notice mine might be on the decline.

Wouldn't surprise me. IMO weizen is an exceptionally delicate beer, easily damaged and easy to go off. For example, it is very difficult for me to find a German wheat that has not degraded by the time I drink it. Another reason to brew at home...

Back