old breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tailleur

Reaction score
I think it's sad and fascinating what our country went through during prohibition. But if it wasn't for that and the rise of the mega breweries, we would not have the diversity of beer we have today. I would love to find a list of breweries still open today that survived prohibition. I know of a few like anchor, yuengling and genesee. Does anyone know of others?

Any recipes would be welcome too. I think it's kind of fun to replicate these old recipes like steam beer and cream ale.

i.e.
WURTZBURGER (Blue Ribbon Malt-during prohibition)
Take 2 gals. of water, 2½ oz. hops, 3 oz. bruised licoric root, 1 oz.
ground ginger, ½ lb. prunes (seeded) and boil for 30-40 minutes, then add
2 1-2 lbs. Blue Ribbon Malt Extract and 1½ lbs. sugar. Boil altogether 5
minutes, strain and add 3 gals. boiled water. ferment.

came with the following warning...

W A R N I N G.
Be sure to comply with your prohibition laws. If your territory is dry, do
not add yeast; yeast will create alcohol; without yeast you will have a snappy, healthful non-alcoholic, hop-flavored drink.

The Tennessee Brewery, here in Memphis, survived prohibition and made Goldcrest Beer. The brewery shut down in the 50's when most every other business in downtown Memphis shutdown. The building is still there and in good structural standing. You can sneak onto the property and take a tour of the brewery but you risk trespassing charges and death by hobo if you do.
-Jefe-

Iroquios Brewery in Buffalo NY survived prohibition but now is defuncted, FX Matt in Utica NY which brews the Saranac brand along with Utica Club and they also do some contract brewing

POC in Cleveland,OH,Duquesne,Carling Black label,to name a few. Falstaff was another one,Schaefer...Here's a wiki link for Duquesne;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duquesne_Brewing_Company
Here's one for what's become of Carling;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carling
Duquesne bought out the rights to POC in Cleveland,then dissolved in 1972. What a waste...no more Duke or POC.
And hudepohl-schoenling...anyone remember Little Kings Cream Ale?;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudepohl_Brewing_Company
Thought a little history in this thread would be nice.

I loved Little Kings. I actually have a cream ale in the carboy right now though it is a Genesee clone. I'm reading about Lemp Brewery from St. Louis at the moment which produced Falstaff. That is a tragic story...

I'll have to research everything everyone posted now...

Most of the big yellow fizzy breweries survived prohibition by doing something other than making beer. (making malted milk, ice cream whatever they could) The coolest old brewery I have ever seen in Yuengling. If you haven't seen it you have to and get them to tell some of the stories about the prohibition era, you will love it.

But if it wasn't for that and the rise of the mega breweries, we would not have the diversity of beer we have today.

I was under the impression that the big yellow fuzzy beer companies were allowed to become as big as they are because they were able to quickly fill the beer void left by prohibition. I believe that before prohibition, there were many smaller breweries in the US.

Prohibition also led to more regulation of the beer industry (3-tier system, etc), which continues to plague small scale breweries to this day.

Schell's Brewery in New Ulm, MN. Been in existence since 1860. Second oldest family owned brewery in the country. Apparently they made near-beer, candy and other stuff during prohibition.

http://www.schellsbrewery.com/history.php

They make some pretty good stuff, and still one of the few smaller scale breweries that hasn't sold out to the BMC overlords.

I was under the impression that the big yellow fuzzy beer companies were allowed to become as big as they are because they were able to quickly fill the beer void left by prohibition. I believe that before prohibition, there were many smaller breweries in the US.

They were already big before prohibition. You should consider reading: Ambitious Brew: The Story of American Beer.

I recently watched a History Channel documentary on American breweries, pre and post prohibition. It may have even been Modern Marvels.

Back