starter bottle size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
silly question... i have this cool looking scotch bottle i want to use for yeast starters. LOL

problem is that it's only a 750ml bottle. if i'm wanting to pitch into a pint of wort (473ml)... will the remaining 277ml of headspace be enough room for a starter?

Unless you are building up old or bottled yeast, making pint starters hurts the yeast more than it benefits them. I wouldn't bother with starters smaller than 1.5 liters.

really? that volume came straight out of Palmer's brew bible. I have bigger bottles and can certainly do a larger starter batch. what's considered appropriate for a standard wyeast smack pack?

im planning on 6 gallons of final volume.

So long as your sanitation is good, I would never say that a starter is harmful to your yeast. However, less than 1L isn't doing much in terms of cell growth. It just gives time for the yeast to acquire some nutrients.

Do something else cool with the bottle - a 1L flask is so much more effective, and a 2L is even better.

i have a growler i can use no problem... and i found the directions on the actual wyeast website that discusses volumes for starters for their yeast, so i'll follow that.

too bad. wonder what i'm going to do now with this sweet scotch bottle!?! LOL

Back