Hop Cones Eaten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
I have a 1st year Cascade plant that is about 11ft tall and has started producing baby cones that are still very small. Just today I noticed that 4 of these cones were either completely eaten or wilted and discolored. I found a cricket/grasshoper thing on my hop plant so I took him away, but is it best to prune the munched hop cones? Or just leave them? Will they grow back or no? Is it safe to spray insecticidal soap on the cones, or just near them?

If the cones are damaged I would remove them...depending on the dmg most never recover. I wouldnt use Sevin (it will flare spider mites). An insecticidal soap is fine to use on cones....however once bugs get in the cones its next to impossible to get them out. I would cut off the dmged cones and depending on your choices either an insecticidal soap or a permethrin based product.

Cheers

If the cones are damaged I would remove them...depending on the dmg most never recover. I wouldnt use Sevin (it will flare spider mites).
Cheers

Well, the spider mites would flourish due to lack of predators, thanks to the Sevin. I had hops in the greenhouse last year, bombed everything with Sevin, ended up with nothing for my troubles. Spider mites destroyed the plants pretty much. Outside, the predators would eventually return and get the mites.(I think)

Well, the spider mites would flourish due to lack of predators, thanks to the Sevin. I had hops in the greenhouse last year, bombed everything with Sevin, ended up with nothing for my troubles. Spider mites destroyed the plants pretty much. Outside, the predators would eventually return and get the mites.(I think)

Evidently its the main component of Sevin that flares the spider mites (carbaryl). Here is a link to the article from the local Entomologist at NC State.http://ncsmallfruitsipm.blogspot.com/2010/06/hops-in-southeast-learning-experience.html

She mentions it in an article about Jap Beetle control.

Back