Consequences of severely underpitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malc

Reaction score
So I was in a hurry and did not read the instructions on the Propagator pack that I got from the LHBS. I just assumed it was a different name for an Activator (you know what happens when you assume:( ). I just pitched directly from the package. Other than a long lag time what, specifically, should I be expecting from doing this? I really can't get any more yeast until Tuesday. Am I screwed completely? Any help would be appreciated.

Under pitching can hurt a bit, but don't stress out too much as you will still have beer. I would get some dry yeast in there as soon as you can if possible to help out.

The general thing is that the yeast will spend more of their time and energy making little yeast babies than converting the fermentables, and this is where some of the "effects" of off flavors come from.

What was the SG?

It was 1.070
I took a whiff of the "beer" (I hope). It smelled like I expected, so I guess it is working. Still haven't seen a bubble in the airlock, though.
Brocster, thanks. I will do that.

Well, even one "activator" package is underpitching for a beer with an OG of 1.070. Even Wyeast's website says you need two packages (or a starter) for a beer over 1.060.

The propagator pack has about 1/4 the cells of the activator package. So, I'd guess you underpitched by using approximately 1/8 of the yeast you should have.

I think you'll be in for a long wait, and I don't think you'll get full attenuation. The beer might still taste fine, though, in the end. You may get some fruitiness or clove-like flavors from the stressed yeast but it won't ruin the beer.

As long as you were very sanitary, no outside yeast or bacteria should be able to take hold before the yeast can begin fermentation.

I see. I have actually only used the Activator once. That was on a beer with an o.g. of 1.074. It finished at 1.010. I didn't use a starter. This is why I tried it again...only I did not realize there were two different types of packaging. You live and learn I guess. I have never had an infection before, so hopefully you are right Yooper.

Brocster had mentioned adding dry yeast as soon as possible. Will it matter if they are not the same strain? Thanks again for all the help.

I think you could go a couple of ways, including getting some more of the same type of liquid yeast. But that may still have some lag as you would need to activate or even make a starter.

With dry yeast, you really have three types of options, depending on the beer style. Nottingham, S-05 or S-04. There are more than those types, but those three work well.

If it was me, and I am not saying I am at all correct in this, I would get 2 packs of dry yeast for the type of beer I am brewing and pitch asap into the wort to get fermentation moving. This will also put enough yeast in the wort to help drive to FG.

Just my two cents. And, by the way - I am sure your beer will be fine.

Good luck!

Here is an update: I was finally able to get to the lhbs today to get the yeast. There was absolutely no signs of fermentation for the past three days. As soon as I came home I saw the first signs in the airlock. Those guys sure took a long time to do there thing. Maybe I should have played some Barry White or something:p I pitched some dry yeast, so we'll see what happens now.Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts

Back