Motorizing a Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
Sitting here at work I was thinking about my next project, motorizing my Crankandstein mill.

How does one go about figuring out what size gears to put on the motor and the mill.

Is there an equation I can apply the RPM of the motor to to figure it out?

Thanks

Not trying to hijack your thread, just hoping for a quick answer here. :)

I run a centrifugal pump for my koi pond. The pump is 3 phase, and I run it on a Variable frequency drive so that I can adjust the speed. Now, the VFD also has a DC output. Would it run a DC motor for my mill at variable speed also?

got home, looked at the motor and found nothing on it mentioning horse power or rpms or anything.

Here is what is listed on the motor.

BAMS 070296
EBC-027-2050-010
CCW

I am pretty sure the CCW= counter clock wise but beyond that I am lost.

Anyone have any insight into this motor?

Ok, I took the motor to a local store that has motors and pumps and all kinds of misc. crap. They hooked it up to a little gadget that said it runs at about 1600 rmp.

My next problem is finding a sproket or ideally a pulley that fits on a drive shaft that is 5/16. The smallest they have is a .99

Then the drive shaft on my crankandstein is 3/8 and according to my people they can only go up to a 3" sprocket which is not nearly enough ratio to lower the rpm to 180 which is ideal for the mill.

I need to be around an 8:1 ratio and am having trouble finding the right gears.

Can i hook up a rehostat and just slow down the motor?

You can install a rehostat if your motor has ball bearings, if it has sleeve bearings it will overheat because it requires higher rpm to lubricate bearings.
You should be able to find a 3/8-5/8 adapter to increase your shaft. I am thinking about motorizing mine also, right now I just use a drill.

You should be able to use a rehostat with that motor. The supplied link mentions a speed controller that can be used to reverse motor rotation. Check McMasters and Carr for sprockets/pulleys. They have a huge selection or bore sizes and teeth/outer diameter.

Bump..

Rev ? Can you provide an update on your motorizing project? I am shopping for mills and trying to decide if it is worth it to motorize it or just use a drill. I have an old air compressor motor I was going to try to use but I dont know the RPMs on it yet.

For anyone that has motorized a grain mill... Did you use a drill first? and if so, is it really that more beneficial than just using a drill ?

For anyone that has motorized a grain mill... Did you use a drill first?
Never used a drill.
My mill is equipped with a Bodine gear motor.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

For anyone that has motorized a grain mill... Did you use a drill first? and if so, is it really that more beneficial than just using a drill ?
I used a drill a few times before motorizing and wouldn't dream of going back. If you already have the motor sitting around it won't be too expensive or difficult to motorize...do it right the first time.

"You should be able to find a 3/8-5/8 adapter to increase your shaft."

My wife's all excited now!

Latest posts

Back