cultured yeast crapping out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderj

Reaction score
Ok, so this beer was my first really successful large % PM, on the brewing end everything went good. It has been six days in primary, I checked the SG this evening and well.......1.040.
Six days and still at 1.040?
The yeast was Wyeast kolsch and fermentation was at about 61. The only thing that I could think was that this is the third brew that this yeast had been through. My current plan is to bring it up to 70 and give it a good swirl. I can see this working for finishing a few gravity points but I want to be at least .020 points lower.
Is the yeast worked out or what?
Any additional advice?
re-pitch?
recipe is as follows, thanks

-ander

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 2/18/2008
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Ander
Boil Size: 6.02 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: ander's gear upgrade

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 39.13 %
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 43.48 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
2.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (60 min) Hops 45.6 IBU
2.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 25.7 IBU
1.00 oz Glacier [5.60 %] (10 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] (5 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
5.00 gal Boise, ID Water
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) [Starter 1000 ml] [Cultured] Yeast-Ale

Target OG 1.075
Measured OG 1.073 (boiled to far down and had to add .5 gallon water for 5 gal.)

I like to start all my beers at a higher temp (70 or so) to give them a good start... then I move them down to the 60 degree cellar once I have a good ferment going.

What temperature was the wort at coming out of your chiller? Was it too hot?

That's a really weird problem. Definitely give it a good swirl.

the wort came out at about 72 so that was the temp that I pitched at, fermentation started at 68 and then I took it down to 60-62.

I use saved yeast all the time, but I do 4 week long primary. we have a 1.083 OG dopplbock go down to 1.016 in 4 weeks at 63 with Wyeast kolsch.

Did you have a very vigorous fermentation? One thing I noticed (and I actually read a biermuncher thread that the same thing happened to him too) is that when kolsch yeast really get going, if you get a lot of krausen buildup, the yeast can essentially 'beach' themselves on the sides of the bucket or carboy. I had a kolsch fermentation crap out about halfway through, and when I swirled it and it took all the junk off the top of the carboy, fermentation picked up again.

I'll bet swirling gets it going again.

I used the Wyeast Kolsch strain in my last double batch of edWorts Koelsch.

I was glad I made a big starter ! I had to build it up 2 - 3 times. It took 4 days for my starter to hit critical mass. When I finally pitched it started fermenting right away.

Bottom line you may be in for a huge lag time with this yeast and it behaves like a lager yeast in my opinion.

PS The Kolsch came out perfect, they wyeast strain has a great flavor and fermentation profile.

I think that the "beached" yeast may have been my problem, I gave it a good swirl so we will see.
thanks
-ander

Back