Fullers 1845

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mward

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recipe for this nectar of the gods? I had a bottle last weekend and fell in love with it. I've got to make a batch. Any help is appreciated.

I've seen a couple kicking around, apparently this is the better of the two

25L at 1054 35 EBU 30 EBC

4.25Kg Maris otter
1.2kg Flaked Maize
520g Crystal

16g Target 90 mins
17g Chalanger 90 mins
17g Northdown 90 mins

20g Goldings 15 mins

Wyeast 1968

Interesting there's no amber or brown malt. I'd figure there'd be a lot of that in there given how it tastes. Any thoughts on that?

"Pale Malt (mix of Pipkin, Maris Otter and Halcyon), crystal and amber malt. Goldings hops."

Just a guess at the grist for a 6 gallon batch:

SG = 1.065

English Pale base malt
1lb crystal 80
.5lb crystal 120
.5lb amber

Dave

Nectar of the gods indeed. After reading this I went to the fridge because I always try to keep it in stock, but to my dismay, I am out. I am making my first 1845 clone next using the following recipe for 5.5 gallons:

9.5 lbs Maris Otter or Golden Promise (Alexis and Chariot if you can find it)
1.0 lb Aromatic Malt
0.5 lb Amber Malt (sub Biscuit Malt if you can't get it)
0.5 lbs Crystal 60
0.5 lbs Special B

1.5 oz EK Goldings 90 min (4.75%AA)
0.5 oz EK Goldings 20 min (4.75%AA)

WLP002 yeast (nice low attenuation and highly flocculant)

Mash at 156F with 3.5 gallons of water. SG 1.061. 7-10 days in primary at 65F, 2-3 weeks in seconday at 65F. FG 1.019.

This should be aged for at least 4 months at cellar temperatures, more would be better. The authentic ingredients are Alexis Pale Malt, Chariot Pale Malt, Crystal Malt, and Amber Malt. I added Aromatic for the extra maltiness and Special B since it gives that dried fruit, wine-like flavor better than Crystal 120.

Let me know what you use for ingredients and how it turns out.

Not a lot, probably a BU/GU ratio of .75. It's not terribly bitter. It's very malty though, with some sweetness. I love it. Must have more.

From the Real Ale Almanac by Roger Protz, circa 1997:

Alexis and Chariot pale malt, amber and crystal malts. 50 units of colour. Goldings hops for bitterness and aroma; hop pellets. 50 units of bitterness.

Note color is EBC (from memory) so should be more like 25 SRM.

IMHO, the key to clones is to use what *is* actually in the beer rather than what you think is there or what you think should be there. Don't start adding munich and grains that are not in the beer if you really want a clone. If you want something inspired by this but your own interpretation, then go ahead and do whatever. But if you honestly want to clone it and start adding all sorts of specialty malts that aren't in the beer, what's the point?

And here's more info.

I attended a tutored tasting with a rep of Fuller's taking us through this beer at the Great British Beer Festival in London in August.

This is what he had to say:

Grain: Less than 1% chocolate malt, 10% crystal, 10% amber malt, 80% pale malt (what he said).

50 ibus.

Same house yeast as all beers.

Added gypsum to water.

If I were formulating this, I'd use this for the grain bill as this is direct info from the brewery from only 4 months ago.

Hope this helps.

Resurecting an old thread here....

I noticed the ingredients were dead on for a nutbrown recipe i brewed up last weekend. I am using a different english yeast (1318). My OG and BU are both shifted lower also.

Might have to put a few down for the 100 days mentioned on the Fullers bottle.

Anyone else had a go with matt's ingredients and appropriate gravities as a 1845 clone? Howd it turn out?

Cheers
:mug:

MattHollingsworth - how do you turn this into a grist bill?

As I said:

Grain: Less than 1% chocolate malt, 10% crystal, 10% amber malt, 80% pale malt.

That would be your grist bill. Use some software like Beersmith and it'll show you percentages. Get those percentages and there you go.

80% - 12.8 lbs. American Two-row Pale
10% - 1.8 lbs. Amber Malt
10% - 1.8 lbs. Pale Malt (Maris Otter)
01% - 0.2 oz. Chocolate Malt

It also depends on OG and FG. Neither are noted.

I used Beer Calculus > http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

Did you discuss hops during your tour? You mentioned 50 IBU, what hop blend do you recommend?

Does this look right? The percentages are correct.

Are there other online recipe calculators that work in percentages?

Two options,

Take a punt at what a total grain bill weight would be for a similar strength beer (have a look at other recipe's), but i am guessing around 12lbs would be about right.

multiple that 12lbs (or whatever you go with) by 0.8, 0.1 and 0.01 to get relative weights of grain.

The other option is get a free bit of software to do the same thing.

Brewmate is great and easy to use.

http://www.brewmate.net/downloads

As for hops, I would refer to a previous post to use Goldings to 50IBU (I would recommend a single 60 min addition to get you this) and a small amout, say around 3/4 to 1 oz for aroma at say 5 mins or flameout (neglible bittering addition). I think there may be something else in there other than just Goldings, maybe Northdown or Fuggles for bittering. Have a go and report back!

Hope that helps.

:mug:

80% - 12.8 lbs. American Two-row Pale
10% - 1.8 lbs. Amber Malt
10% - 1.8 lbs. Pale Malt (Maris Otter)
01% - 0.2 oz. Chocolate Malt

It also depends on OG and FG. Neither are noted.

I used Beer Calculus > http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

Did you discuss hops during your tour? You mentioned 50 IBU, what hop blend do you recommend?

Does this look right? The percentages are correct.

Are there other online recipe calculators that work in percentages?

He said only that they used Goldings for hops, 50 ibus, gypsum added to water and the grain bill info I posted.

The Can You Brew It recipe posted here looks pretty good except I'd use the 1% chocolate malt. Make sure to use Fullers yeast, Wyeast 1968 or White Labs WLP002.

Back