another "Kitchen Sink" IPA, seeking recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
I took inventory of my hops and realized I had quite a few packets that had 1/2 to 1 oz remaining from previously recipes. The packets are all vacuum sealed but I'd just like to use them up if I could. I figured an IPA would be a good bet for getting rid of a bunch at once. Here's what I'm working with: Magnum, Nugget, Liberty, Centennial, Hallertauer, Willamette, Fuggle. If I'm going to do an IPA (haven't brewed one yet) my one requirement is to get something with a deep red color - just like Midnight Sun's Sockeye Red IPA for you lucky Alaskans!

So here's my rough draft:
10 lbs US Pale Malt 2 Row
1 lb Munich Malt
1/2 lb Crystal 10L
1/2 lb Roasted Barley
0.75 oz Magnum (60 min)
0.75 oz Nugget (60 min)
0.50 oz Centennial (30 min)
0.50 oz Liberty (10 min)
0.50 oz Liberty (5 min)
1.00 oz Hallertauer (flame out)
1.00 oz Centennial (dry hop)
1 lb cane sugar (10 min boil)
Safale-04 yeast

My main concern is getting the malt and hops balanced right for an IPA. I also really want to make sure that red hues come through in the color without overdoing it. According to BeerSmith, this combo puts me at 77.3 IBUs and 1.074 O.G.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I think you have too much roasted barley for a red beer, it will be more brown. I would go with a darker crystal malt and lower the roasted barley to ~2 oz.

The hop combo is a bit odd (hallertau is pretty rare to see in an IPA, and liberty isn't much more common), but it might be really tasty. Good luck.

+1 to reducing the roasted barley, though I'd rather leave it out and put some more caramelly grains in there. With the roast barley, you're going to get a crisp dryness that may not be style-appropriate. Some crystal 40 with dark munich malt will give you a nice orange-red beer.

As for the hops, I think they'll all blend just fine except for the Hallertauer. If you're determined to get rid of it, use it in the bittering.

I concur on the rb because you'll get a roasty (possibly coffee-ish) bite that may be out of place here. These "cascadian dark ales" that have cropped up down here in the PNW tend to use chocolate and de-husked carafa malts to achieve their dark colors without sacrificing too much IPA flavor. A couple ounces at most is what I would recommend of the rb.....

Definitely cut the roasted barley back to 2 ounces. That'll give a nice red color. I don't think you need adjust anything else in the grist. The Munich should give a nice maltiness to balance the hops, and the Crystal will provide a firm mouthfeel and a bit of residual sweetness.

As for the hops, I'd mix 'em all up in one big pile and see how much it weighs. Then I'd divide by five. Add one portion at 60, one at 30, one at 15, and the rest as dry hops. Yum! :D

Bob

A small amount of chocolate malt, 1/4 pound, will help with some redness. And as others said, cut the roasted barley down.

I wish someone did have a good clone for this, its one of my favorite beers ever, even though I got a 6 pack of cans a few weeks ago that was foul. I bet Gabe at Anchorage brewing would have some tips :)

Back