Year old stout, should I use it to make a traditional blended porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donasay

Reaction score
So last year I tried to get my buddy into home brewing and brought over my equipment and a fermenter to his house, we made a batch of chocolate stout as it was the middle of the winter, lightly hopped Og somewhere around 1.07 if memory serves correct. Anyway after week 2 we transferred to secondary and it has been sitting in his home office ever since, he never had the desire to bottle or keg it and now he just wants me to come pick it up, which I am totally willing to do.

I know this thing has been aging for a little while past what would be considered prime for the hops and gravity profile, so I was thinking about taking a brown that I brewed a few weeks ago and blending the two into a traditional porter perhaps 2/3 brown 1/3 stout. BTW I have not tasted the stuff, and I'm just assuming it is still good.

I'd start by tasting it. Who knows, it might be delicious!

The goal of blending is to modify the taste of a not-quite-right batch of beer in some more desirable direction. But if you haven't tasted it, who knows in what direction you might be needing to modify it?

Back