European electrical outlet question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsnake

Reaction score
If I'm taking some devices that say, Input: 110 - 240v, then I can use them in Europe, correct?

Do I just get something to convert the plugs to the correct ones?

I'm asking because all the ones I've seen so far try to convert the voltage back to 110v for me and say they can't be used on electronic devices like computers but only for hair dryers and irons.

Yes, I did the same thing when I travelled. My camera charger's AC adapter automatically adjusts to the different voltage. If the device says input 110-240v, then you're good to go. All you need is an adapter, instead of a converter.

Like has been said for many devices no converter is needed.

Just do yourself a favor and don't buy the bottom rung products. I had a couple cheapo units fry violently due to poor workmanship.

Ahh thanks!!

I need to check Radio Shack then. I've not seen the adapters yet, only converters. Everything I'm taking is dual voltage so I should be good to go.

Where in Europe are you going to be? There are different plugs for Northern vs Southern Europe and the UK has its own plug too. If I were you I would get one of the sets with multiple plugs so you'll definitely have the right one. Also, I learned this the hard way, but when you go to unplug something with a third prong (like your laptop for example) make sure you don't touch the prong while it is still plugged in, 220 volts hurts like a mother.

It your device has it's own transformer, like a computer, or if you are charging a battery, like a mobile phone, all you need is an outlet adapter. However, if you device has a motor, like a hair dryer, it may not work correctly. Europe uses a 50Hz system, not 60Hz like the US.

It your device has it's own transformer, like a computer, or if you are charging a battery, like a mobile phone, all you need is an outlet adapter. However, if you device has a motor, like a hair dryer, it may not work correctly. Europe uses a 50Hz system, not 60Hz like the US.

This is true in concept, but I can say that I moved to the UK a few years ago (and back again) with all my US electrical stuff. Many things were switchable in one way or another (some with just a switch, others required relocating resistors on electrical boards to the "240V" slot). For those that weren't, I bought a crapload of converters of various amp ranges and everything ran fine, including my washer machine. Never did get that dryer to work though because of the wiring connections (4-prong), which is ironic since it was already 240V.:cross: I think most motors/electronics today can handle 50-60hz.

Where in Europe are you going to be? There are different plugs for Northern vs Southern Europe and the UK has its own plug too. If I were you I would get one of the sets with multiple plugs so you'll definitely have the right one. Also, I learned this the hard way, but when you go to unplug something with a third prong (like your laptop for example) make sure you don't touch the prong while it is still plugged in, 220 volts hurts like a mother.

I'll definitely need to get a set of them. Doing Brussels, London, Southbourne, Rome, Normandy, and Paris.

When I traveled a lot for work I had 2 converters that had all 4 standard prongs in one contraption. You would twist it and different prongs would pop out. It was a bit bulky, but better then keeping track of 6 or 7 different converters.

Take a standard powerstrip with you so that you can charge multiple things instead of just one at a time. If you are driving at all, bring a small power inverter. It's handy to use while you are traveling to charge cameras etc.

Back