AHB's Rogue Mocha Porter clone (PM)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
WL Cal V
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
or Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
unknown
Color
Black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 @ 72F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
n/a
Additional Fermentation
n/a
1.75 lb 2-row
1.5 lb C120L
6 oz. Chocolate Malt
4 oz. Munich malt
2 oz. Black Barley

45 minutes in 2.5 gallons 155F
Sparge to 6 gallons total

5 lbs. Amber extract

1 oz. Amarillo @ 60
1 oz. Horizon @ 5

I know you got this from AHB, but why would they use Amarillo and Horizon hops when it clearly states on the rogue website that they use Perle and Centennial.

Also, on the Rogue website they say apparent attenuation is 73%. The FG should be 1.014.

is there an allgrain version?

also just to be clear, no coffee added?

No coffee added. Im drinking this recipe right now and its great. Really try and get the Rogue Wyeast as well.

7 3/4 # 2 Row
1/4 # Munich
6oz Chocolate Malt
2oz Black Roasted Barley
1 1/2 # Crystal 120L
60 min hops - 1/2 oz. Centennial 9.5% pellets, 1/2 oz. Perle (German) pellets
15 min hops - 1/2 oz. Centennial 9.5% pellets, 1/2 oz. Perle (German) pellets
5 min hops - 1/2 oz. Centennial 9.5% pellets

mash at 152F with 3.125 gal
sparge at 175F with 5 gal

Hey, Coldies. What was your OG for this brew? I gave this recipe a try with the "Brew in Bag" method, and got 1.042. It was my first time using this method, so i'm interested to know what tweaks I'll need to make in the future.

Two questions:

What type of chocolate malt does the recipe specify? LHBS has Briess 350L, which is a bit lighter and, IMHO, crappier than other chocolate malts. When a recipe calls for Chocolate Malt from a different maltster, I usually have to supplement color elsewhere (de-bittered black, for example).

Also, what kind of IBU target are we talking here? I'm considering an all Northern Brewer hop schedule, but I don't want to over-shoot the IBUs. My adaptation gets me 36 IBU using Tinseth.

Thank you, David, for posting this recipe!

is there an allgrain version?

also just to be clear, no coffee added?

There is no coffee in the real recipe. IIRC the grains/proportions in the all grain version listed here sound right.

As to brands of malt, assuming this has not changed, should be Great Western for the 2 Row and Munich, Bairds for the specialites

Just to give this one a bump, I have done this AG recipe that I posted above (It's now becoming my house porter) with 3 different yeast. Pacman, WLP001, and Wyeast "London Ale III" and the London Ale III is by far my favorite with Pacman coming in second. Get out there and brew this recipe, it's a great porter.

Any hacks to the original recipe? Or do you just go straight from the kit recipe?

I'm trying to decide on a yeast for this brew...here are my contenders:

Notty
US-05
US-04
WY1728 Scottish Ale

Thoughts?

Any hacks to the original recipe? Or do you just go straight from the kit recipe?

I'm trying to decide on a yeast for this brew...here are my contenders:

Notty
US-05
US-04
WY1728 Scottish Ale

Thoughts?

The only thing I changed from the original AG recipe was to bump the chocolate malt up to 8 oz instead of 6 oz. Me personally I would use the S-05 out of those. But if you could get your hands on Pacman yeast go with that, or If you dont mind it not being a perfect clone try the WY London Ale III yeast. It's my favorite yeast I have used on this recipe so far.

Back