Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are all 10 packs? Maybe that is why most of mine don't have them. Pretty much everything I have are 5 packs and are just in a little cardboard box.

They are all 10 packs? Maybe that is why most of mine don't have them. Pretty much everything I have are 5 packs and are just in a little cardboard box.

Yep. All mine are 10 packs in a hard plastic caes.

Had myself a nice, reasonably close, once again, irritation free shave last night with the Merkur HD. Still not as close as I had with teh Futur but it is MUCH easier on the digits.

So long as there is time, I am hooked on DE shaving now. So long as tehre is time, I get a really nice shave from them. But get in a rush and OMG.

Also, Aszcoob, I tried the EVOO in the cream last night. Wow! HUGE difference, IMO. The lather was thick as merengue and easy to shave on without drying too fast. I added about 1/4 tsp to an almond sized bit of cream. Pulled my brush out of the sink (where it was heating) just letting the water drain without flicking and went to building the lather.

Best part is, no oily feeling after the shave but my skin did not feeled dried out by the Proraso Eucalyptus blend either.

Awesome GMB! I am going to try that tonight, I got some neck bumps from j-hooking the other day, so I have been going easy until I clear up the bumps.

The blade was starting to get dull and I was in a hurry, not a good combo for trying new techniques.

I just got a blade sample today. All 5 packs. All cardboard. No blade banks.

Swanson Broth here I come...

Awesome GMB! I am going to try that tonight, I got some neck bumps from j-hooking the other day, so I have been going easy until I clear up the bumps.

The blade was starting to get dull and I was in a hurry, not a good combo for trying new techniques.

I haven't tried jhooking yet but do usually do some blade buffing around the jaw line.

I think I will give the olive oil a shot tonight or tomorrow.

I just got a blade sample today. All 5 packs. All cardboard. No blade banks.

Swanson Broth here I come...

Ok, so it sounds like the 10 packs are the key.

Blade buffing works great for me, I figured I would try j-hooking, might try it again someday but for now I will stick to WTG shaving on my neck til I get the bumps cleared up..

Holy bless!

I will stick to using short, even strokes thank you. I prefer to keep as much of my blood on the inside of my skin as possible. Buffing looks like he is chiseling away at stone.

Me neck can't handle atg but I have started doing semi atg. Pretty much 45 degree angle to the grain.

Me neck can't handle atg but I have started doing semi atg. Pretty much 45 degree angle to the grain.

I make a first pass wtg and then follow up with a second atg pass. the closest thing to buffing for me would be after the wash up to remove any lingering patches.

The a splash with Witch Hazel and done.

I make a first pass wtg and then follow up with a second atg pass. the closest thing to buffing for me would be after the wash up to remove any lingering patches.

Havent cut myself buffing, but the j-hooking left a pretty good red spot or 20,

I have been going WTG on pass 1, XTG on pass 2, and I finish with ATG, I get BBS on my cheeks and jaw line, but the neck is always an issue so I figured I would try some advanced tecniques to try to get smoother.

The big issue was a blade that should have been changed before that shave. I was running late and figured I would go one more shave.

I do a 3 pass, WTG, XTG, and ATG. The only place I can't do ATG reliably is the bottom of my neck. Some days it's fine, but others it's impossible so I usually just stick to trying to get the best I can out of it with an aggressive XTG pass.

Havent cut myself buffing, but the j-hooking left a pretty good red spot or 20,

I have been going WTG on pass 1, XTG on pass 2, and I finish with ATG, I get BBS on my cheeks and jaw line, but the neck is always an issue so I figured I would try some advanced tecniques to try to get smoother.

The big issue was a blade that should have been changed before that shave. I was running late and figured I would go one more shave.

I have yet to let a blade see more than 2 shaves. Mostly out of habit. I am betting I could get more out of a single blade but at 1/1000th the cost of a ME re-fill I figure why bother risking irritation.

I usually go 2 and change as well, I was running late on shave#2 I didn't replace it, then fateful #3 was another late day and sorta forgot to change it til I was mid shave.

Shaving my beard is like cutting wire, it is crazy coarse, and kills a blade in nothing flat.

I wish I could get a week out of a blade.

Fancy catching wet shaving on HBT. That's another thing in common we share. I've been wet shaving since I was a teen... am 49 now and like most, I thought the Mach 3 was heaven sent a decade ago.
But the refill prices were getting hard to swallow.
I then found B&B and the rest is history.

My wife wanted to know what I wanted last Christmas and for $100 shipped... this is what I went for...

DPP_1197.jpg

I find the Derby blades to my liking so far.
Oh I am going to order Cella soap as it seems to be a favorite on B&B. I'm very curious of the almond sent.
D.R. Harris Arlington Shaving Soap in Mahogany Bowl will be on this year's Christmas list :D

Also, those inquiring about the soaps, as in the picture... Proraso sensitive skin works quite well for me. There is still half a tub left after 5 months use so at $9 and what seems will last a year, it's very inexpensive.

I have yet to let a blade see more than 2 shaves. Mostly out of habit. I am betting I could get more out of a single blade but at 1/1000th the cost of a ME re-fill I figure why bother risking irritation.

I always change after 3 but could probably get much more. I just really do that so I can try different blades. :eek:

Hell, I used to use M3 blades for 3-4 months minimum.

I always change after 3 but could probably get much more. I just really do that so I can try different blades. :eek:

Hell, I used to use M3 blades for 3-4 months minimum.

Ahh. See, I would get one or two shave from an M3 (head and face) and then it felt more like it was pulling the hair out rather than cutting it.

Was bored and wtahced a few more Mantis YouTubes. Interesting to note that he claims ~20% of DE shavers get 1-2 shaves a blade but 68% of DE shavers claim to get 6 to 8 shaves per blade.

6 to 8 would be nice. Guess I'll just have to brave through and see how long it takes.

Ahh. See, I would get one or two shave from an M3 (head and face) and then it felt more like it was pulling the hair out rather than cutting it.

I was just a cheap SOB and wouldn't change them until they started cutting the hell out of me.

I took the advice and shaved before bed last night. The wife did comment a couple of times about how good I smelled. :D It is a pain in the ass doing it at night since I shower in the morning but I will probably keep doing it.

I took the advice and shaved before bed last night. The wife did comment a couple of times about how good I smelled. :D It is a pain in the ass doing it at night since I shower in the morning but I will probably keep doing it.

I shaved without a shower last night. Holy jeebus I cut the **** out of myself. BUT, a splash of that Witch Hazel after a cold water rinse and I have absolutely no irritation today.

I will, however, go back to shower conditioning my face before a shave.

I also picked up some Glycerine. Not impressed. I got a slicker and thicker lather using the EVOO. And the EVOO lather did not dry out near as fast as the Glycerin lather did.

Yes. I shave slow.

I also found some scented massage oil in my wifes kit. A crabtree and evilyne "Romance" aromatherapy massage oil. So, after looking at the crap in it I added a bit to the witch hazel. Very nice. A PITA to keep the oil in suspension but, still nice on the skin.

And the wife loved the aroma.

I shaved without a shower last night. Holy jeebus I cut the **** out of myself. BUT, a splash of that Witch Hazel after a cold water rinse and I have absolutely no irritation today.

I will, however, go back to shower conditioning my face before a shave.

I also picked up some Glycerine. Not impressed. I got a slicker and thicker lather using the EVOO. And the EVOO lather did not dry out near as fast as the Glycerin lather did.

Yes. I shave slow.

I also found some scented massage oil in my wifes kit. A crabtree and evilyne "Romance" aromatherapy massage oil. So, after looking at the crap in it I added a bit to the witch hazel. Very nice. A PITA to keep the oil in suspension but, still nice on the skin..

I just used a really hot towel. It worked ok but I don't know if it was the lack of a real shower, the blade, or the sligthly thin lather but there was a lot of pulling during the shave.

And the wife loved the aroma.

And it probably got you just as much as it got me. :eek:

The blade on my merkur was loose last week, I did not know it. If there are 7 layers of skin, I took off 6 of them in two dime size patches on my neck.

Note to self, always make sure head is screwed tight on razor before using.

I just used a really hot towel. It worked ok but I don't know if it was the lack of a real shower, the blade, or the sligthly thin lather but there was a lot of pulling during the shave.

No pulling for me but, I am really starting to think these Mekur blades just aren't for me. They were better on the Futur even at a #2 setting than they have been on this HD. They just aren't getting a very close shave and they are nicking the crap out of me on the neck.

And it probably got you just as much as it got me. :eek:

I think it's going to take way more than a shave and some smelly to get her to do anything with you for a while. As for me, I actually rejected her last night. Crazy I know. Long story. Lazy ass watching TV in bed. I am in kitchen getting the coffe ready for morning. Kids going crazy and they climb onto a stacked file cabinet and into some empty drawers IN THE SAME FECKING room. It all tilts and she CALLS ME in from the Kitchen to handle it. WTF? Too fecking lazy to get off her ass to make a 4 year old and 2 year old STOP!

I tried the EVOO last night and really like the results, I added about 5 or 6 drops to the bowl and worked up an amazing lather. I got a fantastic shave, and as you stated there was no greasy film after the shave.

I put a few drops of sandalwood essential oil into my witch hazel, my wife loves the scent and it leaves my face feeling fantastic.

On a similar note, I may try using EVOO as a preshave oil, I read a little about it on B&B but would like to do more research before giving it a try.

On a similar note, I may try using EVOO as a preshave oil, I read a little about it on B&B but would like to do more research before giving it a try.

I was in CVS yesterday to get the Glycerin and a cheap Boars Hair brush. I wanted to try the boars hair because that is what I remember from olden days and wanted to compare the result.

Anyway, I noticed a LOT of Olive Oil based (like 90%) Ethnic Marketed skin conditioners. By that alone, I was convinced. Of course, not sure what the concern is. I mean if it is so good for being inside the body how could it possible be wrong outside the body? Lest it causes you to break out like a pubescent teenager.

How much did you all pay for witch hazel. I haven't been able to find it local and Amazon it is $12. Seems a little high to me.

No pulling for me but, I am really starting to think these Mekur blades just aren't for me. They were better on the Futur even at a #2 setting than they have been on this HD. They just aren't getting a very close shave and they are nicking the crap out of me on the neck.

Sounds like its the blade. The Mekur blades don't seem to be too popular so you are probably not the only one with that problem.

How much did you all pay for witch hazel. I haven't been able to find it local and Amazon it is $12. Seems a little high to me.

I see it EVERYWHERE now that I know where to look. First, you aren't going to find it in any shaving aisle. I have found it at WalMart, Homeland, Albertson's, WalGreens, and CVS.

~$5 for 16 Ounce generic labelled or ~$8 per 16 Ounces Brand labelled.

Always located in teh First aide aisles near the Hydrogen Peroxide and Rubbing Alcohol and marketed as a First Aid Astringent. I find the Generic tends to have less crap on the label and is usually only 14% Denautred Alcohol and the rest Witch Hazel Extract using De-Ionized Water.

The Glycerin was actually more elusive than teh Witch Hazel. CVS kept that in the cosmetics face cleaners aisle. Odd I thought.

Sounds like its the blade. The Mekur blades don't seem to be too popular so you are probably not the only one with that problem.

Yeah. Not sure what to try next. I have too many choices now. I may just go back to the Futur tool with the Merkur blades to use them up. Only 12 more blades to go. :eek:

Funny tho. The Merkur blades are commonly touted as the "reference Blade for all Others" but considered not very aggressive. And I agree that regarding my stubble they aren't aggressive at all/enough. But ask my derma over my jugular and they are way too aggressive.

I see it EVERYWHERE now that I know where to look. First, you aren't going to find it in any shaving aisle. I have found it at WalMart, Homeland, Albertson's, WalGreens, and CVS.

~$5 for 16 Ounce generic labelled or ~$8 per 16 Ounces Brand labelled.

Always located in teh First aide aisles near the Hydrogen Peroxide and Rubbing Alcohol and marketed as a First Aid Astringent. I find the Generic tends to have less crap on the label and is usually only 14% Denautred Alcohol and the rest Witch Hazel Extract using De-Ionized Water.

The Glycerin was actually more elusive than teh Witch Hazel. CVS kept that in the cosmetics face cleaners aisle. Odd I thought.

Thanks. I'll look again today.

Yeah. Not sure what to try next. I have too many choices now. I may just go back to the Futur tool with the Merkur blades to use them up. Only 12 more blades to go. :eek:

Go on B&B and trade em or give them to someone. No point in tearing yourself up with them just to use them.

I buy my witch hazel at Target, it is in a square bottle about as tall as an isopropyl alcohol bottle and is found in the same aisle, it is under 3 dollars for the bottle.

Go on B&B and trade em or give them to someone. No point in tearing yourself up with them just to use them.

I really think it's the blade tool combo I am using right now. On teh Futur base I suffered only 1 or 2 minor nicks a shave but my hand was dead after hoisting that thing for an entire shave. And the closeness was much better too.

The HD is much easier on my digits but not near as good a shave.

I also have the Parker 60R to try as well. I shouldn't have bought that but, I did for the nostalgia of the butterfly doors.

So, basically, I just need to find the best combo's for each tool. this is still just pretty new to me and I have been making too many adjustments to everything. New soaps, tools, brushes, additives, methods, etc...

I need to stop "learning" and just fecking shave!

I buy my witch hazel at Target, it is in a square bottle about as tall as an isopropyl alcohol bottle and is found in the same aisle, it is under 3 dollars for the bottle.

Where do you get the fragrance oil?

I looked for some and all I saw was girly stuff. Flowery. Like Patchoulli and Lilac kinda ****.

razors.jpg

On the right is the DE Gillette straight razor made in my birth year that I purchased on ebay. Tried it out with a Shark blade last night and it was great. Not difficult at all, the technique was easy, no cuts, not even particularly slow. The Shark blade was fine, I don't see any need to try others.

Back