They sold out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
Now I'm sure this topic has come up before, but once again I am at a loss to find it. Is there any truth to the rumor that both Sierra Nevada and Magic Hat have been purchased by Anheiser Busch? That's what I've heard at two local package stores. Say it's not so!
-Ben

I' haven't heard anything about it. No recent announcements from BUD. Neither is listed as a subsidiary. Sure it's not just a distribution deal?

ablrbrau said:
Dunno, but even if it's true, so what? Their beer isn't going to taste any different.

Well that remains to be seen imo. I agree with you if:

1) They leave the company to continue making their beer the way they have always been.

2) See #1

:D

The problem comes (and I mentioned this in another thread here) is when the 'bottom-line' guy comes in and say...."You know, we have our own malts. You will be using those from now on". Or something like that. This happens all the time in business.

ablrbrau said:
Dunno, but even if it's true, so what? Their beer isn't going to taste any different.

My thoughts exactly. Coors bought out Blue Moon and Blue Moon tastes the same as it always did. Now I can honestly say there's a Coors product I really like. If I ran a small brewing operation and one of the big three made me an offer of a lifetime, I can't say I would pass it up either. If it is true, good for them.

erbiumyag said:
My thoughts exactly. Coors bought out Blue Moon and Blue Moon tastes the same as it always did. Now I can honestly say there's a Coors product I really like. If I ran a small brewing operation and one of the big three made me an offer of a lifetime, I can't say I would pass it up either. If it is true, good for them.
...then was Coors sold to Molson or just the Blue Moon line?

erbiumyag said:

The way I heard it is that Coors owned the microbrew that developed Blue Moon - it 's the one at Coors field. They are a stand alone that is free to brew as they wish, but do some test marketing and development for the big company. Blue Moon was their biggest success.

That's the way it was explained on Beer Nutz by the head brewer anyway.

Well that remains to be seen imo. I agree with you if:

1) They leave the company to continue making their beer the way they have always been.

2) See #1

The problem comes (and I mentioned this in another thread here) is when the 'bottom-line' guy comes in and say...."You know, we have our own malts. You will be using those from now on". Or something like that. This happens all the time in business.

I agree. Two breweries that come to mind that are NOT the same are Red Hook and Celis. Red Hook is not the same beer it was in the late 80's to early 90's and Miller killed Celis. (Later revived by Michigan Brewing Co.)

rdwj said:
The way I heard it is that Coors owned the microbrew that developed Blue Moon - it 's the one at Coors field. They are a stand alone that is free to brew as they wish, but do some test marketing and development for the big company. Blue Moon was their biggest success.

That's the way it was explained on Beer Nutz by the head brewer anyway.
No, Peter Celis sold Celis Brewing Co to Coors back in '95.

Getting back to the original thread topic, it seems that AB is snooping around like all the other big names. The various breweries like Magic Hat and Sierra Nevada are just some of the names popping up in the rumor mill. The article is nearly a year old; but my searches don't bring up anything more recent or relevant.

The article is toward the bottom of the page.

http://www.beerscribe.com/news2.html

Anyone know how much these not-so-big but not-so-small breweries like Sierra-Nevada, Magic Hat, Stone, DFH, etc are actually worth?

I posted an article a few days ago about Dominion getting bought out by AB and someone estimated the name alone was worth 3 million! Obviously those breweries I listed above are more famous than Dominion.

Latest posts

Back