should I repitch more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaynardX

Reaction score
I was about to bottle my Belgian Saison tonight and noticed my gravity reading was 1.021. I was hoping to get more attenuation, so I was wondering if I should pitch more yeast to finish it off. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it back to the LHBS any time soon, so I will have to use what I have on hand. Will any of these work?

Safale US-05
Nottingham
Red Star Montrachet

For general info, my OG was 1.061, my original yeast was Wyeast #3724 with a starter and it had been in the primary for 4 weeks.

What is your target gravity supposed to be like? If you haven't yet, give the beer a bunch of swirls to get the yeast cake/trub mixed back up, get it warmer, and see if things perk back up.

I made a starter after doing all this stuff when my porter did this recently (1.031 ... over two weeks ago and I'm still whining about it ...although it is just about 1.022-1 right now :) .

What recipe did you use?

I usually swirl my beer a couple of times for the hell of it at around 2-3 weeks and I have been fermenting this pretty warm, so I think she has just stalled out. I went ahead and put her in a secondary with a package of the safale 05, so we will see what happends :). Also said "what the heck" and put the 5 oz of corn sugar in that I was gonna prime with. I was thinking about dry hopping this batch anyways, so now that I have it in the secondary, I'm gonna go ahead with that too! :rockin:

Saison yeast are known to be slow fermenters. How warm are you fermenting?

I would ramp that thing as warm as you can get it. It won't hurt that yeast at all to get into the upper 80s.

Back