Alternative Sugar Beer Captain P.B. Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGHcableguy

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Salfale 05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
Dark
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Peanut Butter
Steep
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz roasted barley
4 oz flaked barley
4 oz crystal 40L
half box Capt. Crunch PB cereal

Boil
1 oz nugget hops 60 min
6 lbs dark liquid extract
1 lb dark DME
4oz Lactose
Safale 05

Ferment
1 week in primary,
rack onto 2 6.5-oz jars of PB2 for ten days in carboy
after the first 5 days add 4oz. cocao nibs for last 5 days

OG was 1.062
FG was 1.020

I have not tried it without the cereal. Others have said that with using 2 6.5oz jars of the PB2 that some did not taste enough peanut butter flavoring so that's why I added the Captain Crunch. I can tell you that as time goes by the flavor has mellowed.

Got this in the primary and am about to rack on to the PB2 in the secondary. Going to soak the cocoa nibs in some vodka with a vanilla bean for the last 5 days. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it turns out.

I have noticed with little I have left it has taken on a "dry" taste. It still does taste good but if anyone has a recommendation for others brewing it might be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

WOW!

This turned out amazing! All of my friends are begging me for bottles. I put a little too much priming sugar in it, but once it sets for a little while it's spot on. The peanut butter flavor is great and not overwhelming. My wife (a PB fanatic) actually wants me to add a little more next time.

Thanks for a great recipe! Can't wait to brew it again!

WOW!

This turned out amazing! All of my friends are begging me for bottles. I put a little too much priming sugar in it, but once it sets for a little while it's spot on. The peanut butter flavor is great and not overwhelming. My wife (a PB fanatic) actually wants me to add a little more next time.

Thanks for a great recipe! Can't wait to brew it again!
:mug:

I'm hoping to try this out soon since it seems like one of the few beers my fiance and I will both enjoy but I do have a question. I'm still quite new to the home brew world and have yet to do any secondary fermenting (or stray from the extract kits for that matter) so when I'm racking onto the peanut butter, it is literally putting the 13oz on PB directly into the carboy and then transferring from primary to secondary, correct? Just want to make sure before I screw something up. Thanks!

Yup!

It's going to settle during secondary and when you transfer to your bottling bucket leave the PB sludge on the bottom.

It's a great beer, enjoy!

Has anyone tried adding the PB as/in lieu of a late hop addition? I feel that would be the way to go, isomerize the nut oils into the wort, I'll try it out on a sweet stout and report back one day

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

just brewed it this last weekend. cant wait! only one question. how much priming sugar does everyone recommend for this? i dont want to add too much. any suggestions? thanks.

So I have this on day 6 of primary and had a few questions regarding the PB2.

It seems a lot of people recommend sanitizing the peanut butter before adding it to the fermenter? Is this necessary or should I just sanitize my secondary bucket, dump in the PB2, and then rack the primary onto it and stir to ensure the PB2 isn't just sitting in the bottom? Is the stirring unnecessary? Should I take some of the beer out of primary and boil the PB2 into it then add it to secondary?

I'm rather hesitant to dilute the beer any further than I already have so any advice is greatly appreciated.

So I just made another batch of this but this time I used the PB2 that also has chocolate flavoring in it. I also upped the Lactose to 8 oz. Since the PB2 had the Chocolate flavor added I reduced the Coca Nibs down to 2 oz. It did come out even better then my original recipe IMO.

So I just made another batch of this but this time I used the PB2 that also has chocolate flavoring in it. I also upped the Lactose to 8 oz. Since the PB2 had the Chocolate flavor added I reduced the Coca Nibs down to 2 oz. It did come out even better then my original recipe IMO.

I'm doing at 1.5 gallon batch of this. moving to secondary today. two questions
Did you soak the nibs in vodka and make a tincture? I'll do 2oz of nibs
What carb volume did you keg it at? So i can adjust for bottling?

I'm doing at 1.5 gallon batch of this. moving to secondary today. two questions
Did you soak the nibs in vodka and make a tincture? I'll do 2oz of nibs
What carb volume did you keg it at? So i can adjust for bottling?
i just dumpped the straight in. I keep my regulator around 5 lbs and let it go for a week before tring it. After 2 weeks your golden.

Hey there everyone. This is my first time brewing without a kit and instructions. How long do you steep? How long to you boil? When do you put the hops in and take them out? Thanks so much for the help! I think I can figure the rest out based in other brews.

Back