Clone Beer Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 321063
3 weeks in bottle, stored in 66-64 degree basement and still not carbed to the level I want.
I wonder if I need more time , I know I used plenty of sugar. Used .75 oz per gallon (if memory serves correctly)

Taste is spectacular, chocolate, coffee.....

Most yeasts will take upwards of 6 weeks to carbonate at those temps in my experience. Bring them upstairs somewhere with an ambient of around 70 and you're golden in 2 weeks. Good luck.

I'd think this question was made before on this post. Have anyone tried to pitch in Cocoa (Cacao) seeds instead of the chocolate? Thanks

Cacao nibs work well in stouts. They aren't sweet at all and taste almost dirty if you put too much in. I soak them in vodka for a few weeks and then pour the vodka in as I believe I got an infection from some nibs once.

I wanted to be lazy so instead of cold brewing 2oz of coffee, I threw all 4oz in at flameout and left it there for 10 minutes. I didn't even think about how much stronger/more acidic it would be (I wish I would have just left it at 2oz). I tasted the wort and the coffee was very overpowering. I'm really hoping it mellows out.

Two packets of US-05 and a few hours later and it's already bubbling away. I guess I'll discover if the coffee mellows in a few months. I'm thinking a month in the primary, one in the secondary and one in the bottles.

Went to transfer this to secondary after 3.5 weeks but it already tasted so good that I bottled it. By adding all the coffee to the boil the heavy aroma is already gone and I get the roasted malts and chocolate. I missed my OG (only coming in at 1.070), but that should make it ready to drink sooner. From the sample I had, I'm looking forward to this. It's exceptionally, great recipe!

So first try with the brew your own recipe 10 days grain to glass. And as I'm sitting here drinking it I'm thinking the coffee should be added at flameout and removed and dry hopped then removed or cold pressed in as mentioned. I did two ounces of ground at flameout and two ounces dry hopped for 5 days and it was ground btw. I bet whole bean would be better but something is bitter tasting.... like coffee you know that sat in beer for 5 days granted the beers a little green still and after the first few sips the chocolate notes come through just saying coffee in , coffee out thats the way we make it in the morning right

I only did 4oz of whole bean dry hopped coffee for 5 days I believe and its delicious, every person that has tried it has loved it. It took about 3-4 weeks in the bottle before the coffee mellowed and all the flavors came together.

So first try with the brew your own recipe 10 days grain to glass. And as I'm sitting here drinking it I'm thinking the coffee should be added at flameout and removed and dry hopped then removed or cold pressed in as mentioned. I did two ounces of ground at flameout and two ounces dry hopped for 5 days and it was ground btw. I bet whole bean would be better but something is bitter tasting.... like coffee you know that sat in beer for 5 days granted the beers a little green still and after the first few sips the chocolate notes come through just saying coffee in , coffee out thats the way we make it in the morning right

I'm going to agree with the above post, let the flavors mellow for awhile longer, my version did very well with age. Kept 1 for about a year and man I wish I had more left!

Yeah some time will probably help it but really it will only mitigate the issue i worry. Next time I'm going to steep the coffee at flameout and then remove it and do the same thing with dry hop probably 24 hours for dry hop. The problem is the grounds sitting on the coffee for 5 days or perhaps the grounds at flame out the whole time created a less than desirable flavor. I could be wrong but I'm thinking if its not good now why is it going to be any better later. I started a debate on this topic elsewhere feel free to join in. In the case of something that is too high in alcohol that might be more true or in this case yeah that off flavor might mellow okay now I have confused myself.

The derivation of IPAs was hops fade with age. Wines change flavor with age. Oak fades with age. Why not coffee? Don't be confused, be patient.

Agreed, we drank a couple of mine after 3 days in the bottle, wasn't very carbonated but the overall taste was like dirt and dark chocolate mixed. Fast forward 3-4 weeks and complete deliciousness!!

Just brewed a double batch of an Imperial version of this beer. Had two insanely stuck sparges, slipped and fell on ice three times, missed both gravities, broke the hop spider, and a bunch of other stupid mistakes. All in all it made for a 12 hour brew day. Thanks to DME I ended up hitting the OG of 1.110 on the nose both times. Made one batch with molasses and will make another with vanilla beans in secondary. Both will get some bourbon soaked oak cubes and sit for 6-12 months.

Just brewed a double batch of an Imperial version of this beer. Had two insanely stuck sparges, slipped and fell on ice three times, missed both gravities, broke the hop spider, and a bunch of other stupid mistakes. All in all it made for a 12 hour brew day. Thanks to DME I ended up hitting the OG of 1.110 on the nose both times. Made one batch with molasses and will make another with vanilla beans in secondary. Both will get some bourbon soaked oak cubes and sit for 6-12 months.

Sheesh bro, what a frustrating brew day. Hope the resulting brew ends up tasting amazing!

A question for anyone dry beaning (whole or ground). I was at a local brewery and asked the Brewer about coffee additions and they said when they tried dry beaning that the beer became unstable in the bottle and tasted like crap after a couple months on shelves. Has anyone had quality/stability issues with their dry beaned beers?

Sorry if this has already been addressed but how does the Original recipe give an OG of 1.083? Using Brewers friend, 12 lb of 2-row (with the same specialty grains) at 75% efficiency would give an OG of 1.087. Am I missing something?

I have brewed this twice now. The first time it came out around 1084 OG and it held up for a good couple of months. Sumatra at flameout and Kona in secondary for about a week.

The second and most recent time I brewed it, I did Sumatra at flameout again, and Jamaica Blue Mountain in secondary. I kind of forgot about the secondary and let that sit for about 2 weeks.

With the second batch, the coffee flavor was strong and came out wonderful for about the first 3 weeks or so. It took first place in our club's homebrew competition against 8 other "big and dark" beers. I submitted it to the LHBS competition which was judged somewhere between 11-14 days later and the notes I got back said it was full of green pepper aroma and flavor. Sure enough, I took a draw from my keg and it's a green pepper bomb.

I was advised to cold press the coffee next time by the LHBS, but that was blind advice - at the time they had no idea how I added coffee to the beer.

I will brew this again, but I'll be a little more stringent on the coffee timing and I might just do both coffee additions to secondary and see how it goes.

I have brewed this twice now. The first time it came out around 1084 OG and it held up for a good couple of months. Sumatra at flameout and Kona in secondary for about a week.

The second and most recent time I brewed it, I did Sumatra at flameout again, and Jamaica Blue Mountain in secondary. I kind of forgot about the secondary and let that sit for about 2 weeks.

With the second batch, the coffee flavor was strong and came out wonderful for about the first 3 weeks or so. It took first place in our club's homebrew competition against 8 other "big and dark" beers. I submitted it to the LHBS competition which was judged somewhere between 11-14 days later and the notes I got back said it was full of green pepper aroma and flavor. Sure enough, I took a draw from my keg and it's a green pepper bomb.

I was advised to cold press the coffee next time by the LHBS, but that was blind advice - at the time they had no idea how I added coffee to the beer.

I will brew this again, but I'll be a little more stringent on the coffee timing and I might just do both coffee additions to secondary and see how it goes.

Congratulations! How long aged before your club tasted it? Not the result i got. Mine tasted well like you would expect something that had coffee in it a week would taste. Granted a day or two later it has gotten better.

Sorry if this has already been addressed but how does the Original recipe give an OG of 1.083? Using Brewers friend, 12 lb of 2-row (with the same specialty grains) at 75% efficiency would give an OG of 1.087. Am I missing something?
there are different types of efficiencies, different ways of calculating it, Brewers Friend might not be calculating system loss, etc etc etc...

in the end, don't worry about the recipe - just hit the numbers. you should use however much grain your system requires to make 1.083.

Congratulations! How long aged before your club tasted it? Not the result i got. Mine tasted well like you would expect something that had coffee in it a week would taste. Granted a day or two later it has gotten better.

I'd have to look at my notes, but I'm guessing about 7-10 days. I think I kegged it the week before Thanksgiving and then sent it over for the comp on Nov 30.

Two weeks later it was a green pepper bomb. Really want to brew this again and figure something out with the coffee profile.

What exactly does that mean? I am confused? Is that like dry hoping the secondary with 2 oz of ground coffee? Please help?...

I ended up brewing a double batch of an "Imperial" version of this pretty much already Imperial stout and just transferred to secondary on top of some Maker's soaked oak cubes.

For once in my life I finally hit my numbers dead on! 1.110 OG (with 55% efficiency :banghead: but I'll take it for now) and FG of 1.032 after a four week fermentation. One batch with blackstrap molasses and the other with vanilla beans. Going to sit on it until Thanksgiving or so. The gravity sample tasted amazing once you got past the green hotness. I'll let you all know how it tastes once it's all kegged up.

I ended up brewing a double batch of an "Imperial" version of this pretty much already Imperial stout and just transferred to secondary on top of some Maker's soaked oak cubes.

For once in my life I finally hit my numbers dead on! 1.110 OG (with 55% efficiency :banghead: but I'll take it for now) and FG of 1.032 after a four week fermentation. One batch with blackstrap molasses and the other with vanilla beans. Going to sit on it until Thanksgiving or so. The gravity sample tasted amazing once you got past the green hotness. I'll let you all know how it tastes once it's all kegged up.

what must one do to arrange a homebrew swap?

Quick question for this recipe and any that include chocolate...Are you trying to incorporate the chocolate? (Like if you melted it first in a Ss bowl & poured back into the kettle?)

Or, have any of you used a hop bag to try & contain the sludge?

I've never brewed with chocolate and am brewing this recipe right now ��.

Appreciate the help

Literally just added the chocolate chunks right into the kettle. Zero problems, including my head retention being fine.

I've brewed it once with chocolate, bakers chocolate and I had all kinds of problems with head retention. Next batch I used unsweetened Hershey's powder in the boil and the choc taste was still definitely there and i had no issues with head retention. I also used coffe beans in primary for a week as opposed to grounds at flameout, much smoother coffee taste.

How much water do you steep the 2 oz of coffee in? I've read between 8-16 oz or more...any recommendations for this recipe?
The correct answer is "enough". The amount isn't terribly critical, but you don't want too little that not all the coffee is wetted and you don't want too much where you are diluting your beer with too much water.

The correct answer is "enough". The amount isn't terribly critical, but you don't want too little that not all the coffee is wetted and you don't want too much where you are diluting your beer with too much water.

I've never cold brewed coffee before but I thought the water ratio did affect the strength and extract effect, etc. ?

When you're making it for a direct cup of coffee, sure, not as much when you're diluting it into 5 gallons of beer? Just go with 8-12oz or so I'd say.

I use a French Press for my cold brew addition of the coffee and it hold about 1 liter of water. With 2 oz of coffee, it is more like 3/4 of a liter that I use...

I used my French press too - ended up with 16 oz of water as it was too dry with just 8 oz IMO when using 2 oz of ground coffee.

Thank you everyone for the advice and feedback :cheers:

I easily have an inch and a half of chocolate on the bottom of my Better Bottle right now (9 days into 2 week 2ndary) Will hope that the s-04 compacts it slightly more in the next few days and will suspend my siphon right over the top of it with duct tape.

Duct tape. It's not just for brewing...

Funny you should ask...I just put 2gals in a keg with oak chips soaked in port...kind of like Kate The Great.

An update on this beer - it won a silver medal at America's Finest City home brew competition (QUAFF run competition in San Diego). It also took third place at NHC's first round in Nashville, so it has advanced to the final round. It was entered as a wood aged in both competitions - I did not enter it as specialty wood with spirits (or whatever that category was called) as I didn't feel the port was prominent enough to bring attention to it. So here's hoping for a medal at homebrewcon...

An update on this beer - it won a silver medal at America's Finest City home brew competition (QUAFF run competition in San Diego). It also took third place at NHC's first round in Nashville, so it has advanced to the final round. It was entered as a wood aged in both competitions - I did not enter it as specialty wood with spirits (or whatever that category was called) as I didn't feel the port was prominent enough to bring attention to it. So here's hoping for a medal at homebrewcon...

Congrats. Did you add the port as well or just the oak?

Back