Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love these forums, we talk about beer, wine, mead, & cider, obviously. I've also found threads dedicated to smoking meat, making homemade pizza.

We've got just a ridiculous thread that I think has turned into a collection of goat pictures.

And now I find we have one about puppies!

I'm starting to think that all this site needs to compete with theChive is an associated charity and a thread full of college girls in bikinis.

Here is a recent pic of Bridger. He is named after a ski hill in Bozeman MT.

He joins our family on May 15th. Can't wait!

View attachment 353141
Cute. Huge fan of yellow labs, unfortunately my wife can't deal with the shedding.
I love these forums, we talk about beer, wine, mead, & cider, obviously. I've also found threads dedicated to smoking meat, making homemade pizza.

We've got just a ridiculous thread that I think has turned into a collection of goat pictures.

I'm starting to think that all this site needs to compete with theChive is an associated charity and a thread full of college girls in bikinis.

They closed that section a few weeks ago but you had to be a supporting member to see it.

lol I like how you think. And like mentioned below, if you are a supporting member you can find most of that on this site also :)

Labs are the best, even when they do this:
View attachment 353200

Goldens are a blast too....
181159_10150955436173742_689061606_n.jpg

Look into Leonbergers: 1/3 Newf; 1/3 Pyrr; 1/3 St. B. but they do not drool and they are really nice dogs.

Never even heard of that. Will google now

I agree, but we decided that the bigger more mellow pup would fit better with our life style right now. We have small children and the smaller more energetic pup was just a bit to "crazy lab pup" for us right now. Granted the bigger one is still a lab pup, but not turned up to 11.

We have watched lots of video of the entire litter and spent a lot of time talking with the breeder prior to making our pick.

Congrats!! Sounds like you did a lot of due diligence before you chose. Wish more people would do that

Congrats!! Sounds like you did a lot of due diligence before you chose. Wish more people would do that

Having kids now we really wanted to be sure we were getting a pup with a temperament that would fit our family. We have been talking with the breeder and she has been sending us video of them since they were 3 weeks old.

I used to live on Bozeman and I still visit almost every year. I remember the days of hitch hiking up the hill so I could ski.

Our Bridger:
View attachment 353263

If i could find work we would move to Bozeman in a minute, though AK would be tough to leave. Good looking pup!

Labs are the best, even when they do this:
View attachment 353200

I may be crazy but I am looking forward to a whole new series of lab mischief. We had a black lab for 11 years and when he was young he got in to all kinds of trouble. I am hopeful that since we are older and know a bit more, my wife has been a marine mammal trainer for 10+ years now, that we can help channel all of the lab energy for good and not evil. :D

Handsome pup! Congrats on getting the pick you wanted

Thanks! It was stressful, but everything worked out and now we just have to wait another week to finally bring him home.

@cannman Sorry for your bosses and your loss. even though Sage wasn't your dog evidently you knew this dog and it still hurts.
I have a friend who has a 145 pound Harlequin Great Dane that we watch we they go out of town. When Toto passes my friend will bury her in his back yard. I have ask him if I might be allowed to help dig the grave to which he replied "She as much your dog as ours." When that day comes, he and I will cry, dig, have a beer, tell some Toto stories, laugh (ever seen a Great Dane wearing a pink tutu), cry and dig some more. It will be all part of the healing process.

When I got my Catahoula Hounds ashes after he passed last year, I took them with me while walking our remaining dogs. I scattered some around the base of every mailbox in the neighborhood. Now he's with me every time I walk.

We love them while they're here and cry like babies when we loose them.

First night with Brutus went pretty well. Played hard outside, helped me mow the lawn. Romped around inside chewed on a lot of things that are not chew toys lol

He goes in and out of his crate for food and water but is still not a fan once the door closes. I laid next to his crate last night and after 5 minutes he was out and I was able to move to my own bed.

2016-05-07 11.57.41-1.jpg

2016-05-07 12.55.19-1.jpg

2016-05-07 12.34.13-2.jpg

He goes in and out of his crate for food and water but is still not a fan once the door closes. I laid next to his crate last night and after 5 minutes he was out and I was able to move to my own bed.
Pretty typical as you probably know. Most find it a sanctuary after a while.

Has the Saint Bernard done the "enough, I am done playing" move of plopping a giant paw on top of the pup when enough is enough?

First night with Brutus went pretty well. Played hard outside, helped me mow the lawn. Romped around inside chewed on a lot of things that are not chew toys lol

Looks like you could use a riding lawnmower

Pretty typical as you probably know. Most find it a sanctuary after a while.

Has the Saint Bernard done the "enough, I am done playing" move of plopping a giant paw on top of the pup when enough is enough?
He is doing better. Still a new place and lots to take in. We found putting a blanket over the crate when it's bed time seemed to help him.

Looks like you could use a riding lawnmower
Would be nice but just didn't feel like dropping 2k on a lawnmower. Spent 299 on this one from lowes. I need the exercise anyways. We bought the house in December, before that it sat vacant for 3-4 years.

Needless to say the yard needs some major TLC

He has taken a liking to our little girl though which is pretty adorable.

Brutus and Stella Chair.png

4442.jpeg

This one got caught twice on the face taking out a copperhead in the yard yesterday. (Don't worry- she'll be fine)
That drool means she's feelin' fantastic after the vet juiced her up on painkillers.
Be careful out there, and if your dog comes in with a swollen face, don't wait and get them to the vet!
rHAB2sc.jpg

@Howhownow sorry about your girl.
Happened to our Bassett a few years ago. Looked pitiful and barked funny for a week, but was his normal goofy self the day after the bite.

This one got caught twice on the face taking out a copperhead in the yard yesterday. (Don't worry- she'll be fine)
That drool means she's feelin' fantastic after the vet juiced her up on painkillers.
Be careful out there, and if your dog comes in with a swollen face, don't wait and get them to the vet!
rHAB2sc.jpg
Yikes! One more reason I live in New England.
(That said, it's 51 degrees out today and we're all running around in shirtsleeves, because it's the first sun we've had so far in May. So I guess we each have our cross to bear.)

Poor pup. Glad we don't have to worry about snakes in Alaska. Everything that can hurt us for the most part is rather large and hopefully you see from a distance.

Poor pup. Glad we don't have to worry about snakes in Alaska. Everything that can hurt us for the most part is rather large and hopefully you see from a distance.

Yeah- I think she would have had a similar reaction to a bear, with far worse outcome.

Neighbor in Stillwater, OK had a dog that suddenly had a super swollen leg one day. She was pitiful for a few days but recovered fine and no one thought a thing about it.

The following weekend (about 6 days later) their 4-year-old came in crying and said "those worms in the back yard but me". Those worms were baby rattlers and the dog had likely killed the mother as it was found outside the fence pretty torn up.

Kid (after anti-venom) and dog survived but that one stuck with me. Kid had 11 bites with only 3 that had punctured the skin.

He is doing better. Still a new place and lots to take in. We found putting a blanket over the crate when it's bed time seemed to help him.

He has taken a liking to our little girl though which is pretty adorable.

Congrats on the new guy and getting him home!! Crate training can be rough at the beginning, but so worth it in the end.

Love the pics of him with your little one and him "helping" mow the yard!!

Ouch, glad she is going to be ok.

Yep, except frickin' porcupines. Our last dog, a Siberian, loved them when he was younger. Got into them twice in one day when he was at a friends house while we were on vacation. I have pulled way to many quills out of friends dogs around here.

Neighbor in Stillwater, OK had a dog that suddenly had a super swollen leg one day. She was pitiful for a few days but recovered fine and no one thought a thing about it.

The following weekend (about 6 days later) their 4-year-old came in crying and said "those worms in the back yard but me". Those worms were baby rattlers and the dog had likely killed the mother as it was found outside the fence pretty torn up.

Kid (after anti-venom) and dog survived but that one stuck with me. Kid had 11 bites with only 3 that had punctured the skin.
Oh man, I would have freaked. Glad the kiddo and pup are ok.
very lucky, juvenile rattlers actually carry a stronger dose of venom than the adults.
Was curious about this. Heard that before.
Rogue Ales puts on a dog friendly beer festival every year...pretty fun stuff actually.

https://twitter.com/RogueAles/status/729753310735925250
That looks like a blast.
I was hoping for more of a counter jinx. (You know by wishing for lab type mischievousness maybe I would avoid it.)

Wait, is that a double secret jinx.....
Yea you done did it now....
Congrats on the new guy and getting him home!! Crate training can be rough at the beginning, but so worth it in the end.

Love the pics of him with your little one and him "helping" mow the yard!!

Ouch, glad she is going to be ok.

Yep, except frickin' porcupines. Our last dog, a Siberian, loved them when he was younger. Got into them twice in one day when he was at a friends house while we were on vacation. I have pulled way to many quills out of friends dogs around here.
Yea he just wants to be next or on someone so he lets us know he is very unimpressed when we close the door. We found covering his crate with a blanket helps a little though and each time is getting better than the last. I figure by this weekend he will realize he isn't being locked away for life and we are coming back to see him.

And thanks, he wasn't scared of the mower at all and pretty much naturally healed by my side the entire time. Hoping that trait grows with him, he doesn't like to wander far from me or the wife.

O
And thanks, he wasn't scared of the mower at all and pretty much naturally healed by my side the entire time. Hoping that trait grows with him, he doesn't like to wander far from me or the wife.

Take advantage of that and reward, reward, reward it. If you can get that ingrained in him now it will pay dividends for life.

Back