Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I'd make a bigger starter and give it time to ferment out and decant it. I usually go for a 2-3 qt. starter.

1.5 quart is all my stir plate will handle... And it's close to what Jamil's calc recommends. I'll see tonight if the starter looks like it's ready to crash overnight. If so, I'll decant in the morning, add another liter of starter wort and pitch in the evening... (10 hours or so later)

Not ideal, but my schedule is too tight the next few weeks...

Denny, I've taken your advice and letting the yeast go to completion, going to chill and decant and then add another 1-2 liter starter wort when it is ready. I'll let that ferment out to chill and decant for wednesday brew. I'll have close to 400 billion cells of healthy yeast. When I've spent all this money on such an important brew, might as well do it right...

Brewed this a few weeks back and took a sample during gravity reading. A few points away and still bubbling but it still tasted delicious and I can't wait to dry hop it and drink it! This thing's going to be a month in the primary though... Why must you taunt me this way?!?

yeah I did 10 G and I plan to do a rebrew in the next three weeks. This is a great cold or hot weather IPA IMO. Have been craving it lately....

Hey Denny - would you recc a substitution for mt hood for this brew? Or should I just wait until I have the hood on hand? Just was going to brew this tomorrow, and realized I only have 110g of hood!! doh..

The only sub I'd recommend would be Hallertauer.

Well that is a good thing, because I went with it before I saw your post (I usually hate substitutions but I need more wry!). I was doing a double batch, so I ended up using about 25g of hallertau mittelfruh subbed in for the 177g total of mt. hood hops. Since I almost had enough, I just decided to use the hallertauer. I did leave the aromatic hop addition at 0 min 100% ht. hood in effort to help preserve the mt hood aromatics and use the haller. for bittering.

It is happily bubbling away this morning after our brew this Sunday. This will be a perfect fall ipa.

Oh so double ****. Long and short is, my brew partner in crime grabbed the hops and weighed them for this brew, and today I just noticed that he totally excluded the 105g first wort hops addition (I remember only adding a 60, 30 and 0 addition for hops). I am so peeved that swe screwed this up.

Any way I can save the batch? I was thinking of making a small pot mash with 2row, or simply boiling a bunch of hops in water for 60 minutes and adding it to the fermenting brew to get IBUs introduced.

Any ideas? How would I calculate the IBUs from a small boil and how they would translate into an 11g batch.

beersmith shows me I lost 19.4 IBUs by excluding that first wort hop addition - without getting these back i think it will ruin the balance of this brew...

Oh so double ****. Long and short is, my brew partner in crime grabbed the hops and weighed them for this brew, and today I just noticed that he totally excluded the 105g first wort hops addition (I remember only adding a 60, 30 and 0 addition for hops). I am so peeved that swe screwed this up.

Any way I can save the batch? I was thinking of making a small pot mash with 2row, or simply boiling a bunch of hops in water for 60 minutes and adding it to the fermenting brew to get IBUs introduced.

Any ideas? How would I calculate the IBUs from a small boil and how they would translate into an 11g batch.

beersmith shows me I lost 19.4 IBUs by excluding that first wort hop addition - without getting these back i think it will ruin the balance of this brew...

Maybe throw the hops in with some dme (maybe a cup or something, not much) at like 150 degrees, let them sit there for like 20 min, boil for 60, and then add to the fermenter. That should replicate a fwh.....

I was thinking of doing this:

1lb 12oz dme or (2lbs 12oz 2row @ single infusion 153F minimash (BIAB on the stove top)); would give 1.075 or so S.G.).

Using 1.5 gallons preboil volume, boil off to 1 gallon final volume. Using hops in the first wort drop in for 60 minute boil.

I have hallertauer Mittlefruh so i will use those.

A. 68g @ 4.7 AA = 213 IBUs with wort gravity of 1.076;
B. if I increase the wort to 11G on beer smith it gives 19.4 IBUs

Since a larger water volume means better hop utilization (and I am estimating 19.4 IBUs off beersmith using 11G), I would assume that if I use A the hop utilization would not disperse to 19.4 IBUs exactly, it would be somewhat less, but hopefully close.

Does that reasoning make sense?

So to make it clear if I use grain:

2lbs 12oz 2row @153F for 60 minutes.

1. Strike water will be 3.5qts of water at 165F
2. Sparge water will be 168F, adding whatever water volume needed to get to 1.5 gallons

a. mash
b. throw in 68g hops
c. sparge in a strainer
d. boil for 60 minutes
e. chill and add to the brew.

are you mash hopping or first wort hopping? It should work out pretty well.... You might change the flavor profile of the beer with the increased two row just a bit. If you have to go the homebrew shop to pick it up, you could just scale down the recipe completely.

I wish that the isohop was sold locally, even still I would be strapped to rationalize the buy for 27 buck before shipping. Very interesting looking product though.... I would need 2.98ml for my situation.

wouldn't the IBUs need to be higher than 100?

I was thinking 213 IBUs / 11g = 19.36 ibus per gallon. But I just realized that I would actually have a finial finishing volume of 14G.

So actually 233 IBUs / 12g = 19.41 IBUs per gallon.

That sound about right?

are you mash hopping or first wort hopping? It should work out pretty well.... You might change the flavor profile of the beer with the increased two row just a bit. If you have to go the homebrew shop to pick it up, you could just scale down the recipe completely.

That isn't a bad idea. I could scale it down to a 1/12 batch. Sure it is annoying to redo the whole thing, but I have all the grain I need to do it in my basement.

Ok so I think I like your idea better - BIAB 1/12 batch.

1/12 = .083333; therefore I simply multiply the grain bill by .083333 (after dividing by 16 to get to oz)

So here is a 1/12 batch:
1lb 13oz 2 row
8oz rye malt
2.7 oz C60
1.3 oz white wheat
1.3 oz carapils

72g FWH hallertauer @4.7 = 232.8 IBU

60 minutes at 153F
Strike is 1.5/qt so 1 gallon at 163F
Sparge in strainer to get up to 1.5 gallons preboil

Looks like this will be my smallest brew ever!

Well i did brew up the high IBU minibrew.... will let people know if the madness worked! Thanks for the banter doc!

Brewed a batch of this Saturday, and I'm very excited about trying it. Gravity was 1.073, and it's chugging along quite nicely now. Thanks for the recipe!

so this is sorta unrelated to Denny's wry....

But I just brewed Denny's Sister Star of the Sun on Sunday. Walked down to the basement to find this:
1. Noticed the stopper with airlock was on the floor... It looked like a volcano. Bad pic - but funny nonetheless! Can't wait to finally use the hop stopper! Might have prevented the clog of hops.

Denny - I didn't see any dry hop additions for this recipe. Are they recommended?

downsize.jpg

FWIW, it's not my recipe...it's a classic by Dave Brockington. I'm almost certain it is dry hopped, but I'm gonna have to check.

I checked my gravity for the first time yesterday, and this beer smells amazing! I think I'm going to have trouble being patient for this one. I realized afterwards, when reading my notes that I mixed something up, and used the Columbus as my FWH. Oh well, I guess I'll have to make this again, to try the original recipe...Lol.

Brewing this in a couple weeks after I bottle my SNPA clone. After reading this thread I wish I brewed Wry Smile first

Alright, I'm a tad bit concerned about the FWH

Since I'm going to be using like 10-11 gallons of water on this bad boy, I'll be boiling for friggin ever to get down to 5 gallons and obviously dont want to have that OZ of hops in there the whole time.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do with that OZ of hops?

Hi Denny, my water is pretty hard, 210-320ppm if I remember correctly. Would you still recommend that I add gypsum?

The Northern Brewer hop schedule is a little different than this recipe, which should I follow. The NB schedule has 1oz mt hood @ 30min and 1oz mt hood @ flameout instead of .5oz @ 30min and 1.50oz at flameout. TIA!

justin

In my research I found that the wheat and rye can self convert. So...I'm planning on doing a partial mash and just making up the 11 pounds of 2-row with DME.

I would be doing this BIAB style. Any cautions, encouragement, criticism?

no problem as far as I know. I would suplement as much 2row as you could fit in the bag, as 11 LBs of DME is expensive. You are already mashing, just use it to the max capacity.

no problem as far as I know. I would suplement as much 2row as you could fit in the bag, as 11 LBs of DME is expensive. You are already mashing, just use it to the max capacity.

Agreed on all counts. I recommend using Briess rye malt. It's what I use and I've found it has more diastatic power than most continental rye malt I've encountered.

My supplier carries Canadian Malting's rye malt. Do you think that'd be okay?

I'd guess so, but have no personal experience with it. See if you can get an analysis. Briess lists the DP of their rye malt at 105 so if the Canada is similar it should be fine.

Back